Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cork, IE

I've read a post which I answered.This gentleman stated that depression is self inflected and I believe this post should be removed as it is disrespectful and disservice to those who suffer from depression.

January 18, 2019
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have a brother that believes alcoholism is not a disease. Both parents and grandparents were alcoholics. My father died at 49 due to alcohol-related health problems. My sister has passed at 52 from alcohol. A nephew has passed at 42 and one 38 is living on the streets due to alcohol. My on son 35 and a great-nephew 25 are alcoholics. I do not believe all of these people in one family all just decided to drink themselves to death. I do believe it is hereditary.

January 21, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I'm truly sorry you went through so much all down to alcohol related issues. My own brother is an alcoholic even though he has not had a drink for close on 40years.He still considers himself an alcoholic. He hit rock bottom,his wife and children disowned him he lost his job. He turned his life around thank God and is still very active in coaching young boxers.His wife and children are united again.Stay strong I will keep you in my prayers.Breathe easy my friend and stay safe xx

January 21, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Exercise helps get rid of depression. It can be walking-jogging-dancing-swimming-going to the gym etc. On real bad days I exercise to music if I am staying home.
get that rock and roll music going........

January 28, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

yes I agree,who ever posted obviously has not suffered through a life threatening panic attack.and furthermore it is statistically proven that one in five smokers get copd,although smoking is a contributor it obviously is not the cause once you quit so should the progression.I had a grandfather lived to be 90,my mother was 84, etc no copd.

January 19, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, Thank you for your comment but I don't believe this gentleman meant to be offensive to anyone.
I believe more care should be taken when posting on any site but in particular this site as the vast majority of us suffer in one way or another with depression.Breathe easy RonlandL

January 19, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Fond Du Lac, WI

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bonifay, FL