Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bristol, UK

Hi all, I have just been prescribed a Trelegy Ellipta inhaler and i wondered if anyone has any experience of the Ellipta range of inhalers, if anyone does could you please tell me whether you swallow the powder that comes out or if you rinse and spit it out. Many thanks Karen

February 14, 2019
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

my pulmonologist had me use the inhaler in his office to make sure I was using it correctly.
Sit up straight.....
First - exhale completly
second - inhale the Trelegy completely
Third - hold it in for a count of 5 to 10
Fourth - exhale, then go rinse your mouth or even brush teeth

The powder can irritate the inside of your mouth if you don't rinse and give you sore places in your mouth

Inhale into your lungs.....then rinse your mouth!

February 14, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

yes definetetly.

February 17, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It is really frustrating, i have been using Anoro Ellipta for about 18 months and have not rinsed once, when I picked up the trelegy Ellipta from pharmacist yesterday I specifically asked about rinsing etc and was told I should rinse but it is ok to swallow it, I only asked because I thought I had read somewhere that you should rinse and spit especially with inhalers that have steroid, Just relieved that I asked on here before it got to a stage where other problems could occur.

February 14, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Oh yes! Always rinse and spit!

February 14, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

First of all, I would ask someone in your pulmonologist's office to show you how to use the inhaler. If you use it properly, most of the powder should go to your lungs, not your mouth . I usually brush my teeth after I use my inhaler to be sure that I get everything out. You should rinse and spit.

February 14, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Colbert, GA