Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people whoโ€™ve been there
  •   People who understand what youโ€™re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
New Brunswick, Canada
March 5, 2019
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Oh everyone who is diagnosed with COPD should go through Pulmonary Rehab. @A MyCOPDTeam Member๐Ÿฅฐ. My reason for wanting to go was, I wanted to know exactly how much and what I could do without killing myself.
So I went with an open mind and a sense of excitement. And each day I went I challenged myself to do just one better than the last time. Not for anyone but just me.
They will teach you the best way to use your meds. They show you how to exercise properly. How to breathe through everything. The warning signs, and what your triggers are. I encourage you to try.
Oh you will do great.
I started this journey with 24% lung function back in 2002 and when I went to the hospital for a pulmonary function test so I can go back through Pulmonary Rehab my lung function is 26%.
So I say give it a try๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿ™Œ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŽถ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿค—

March 5, 2019 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

For me it was a 4 week ordeal 2 days a weeks for 50 minutes...medicare picked up the tab.I was monitored with heart connections and a nurse whom oversaw it on her computer,The exercises consisted of stretching..,,tread mill,and recumbent biking...light hand weights while sitting and standing and sitting while in a chair.,about every 10 minutes you had to shout out your oxygen levels from the finger monitor you are wearing...after the initial 4 weeks,you can continue, unmonitored for $80 a month..2 days week...I could join just about any health club with more options at the price with a pool and sauna..So I resorted to continue on my own since I own a recumbent bike and weights...Ideally you should make it a daily routine, even for only 20 minutes a day...start slow and pace yourself....good luck

March 5, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Lots of good answers above. Where I go we have plenty of staff to take readings, disinfectant wipes are provided for each machine and the staff are amazing.

We have 30 minute seminars teaching us more about copd, how to recognize the beginning of an exaserbation(?) and what type of plan you should have in place without having to go to ER. How to travel by plane, train etc with copd. Those are the only 2 I've had so far. They have 1-2 every week and are very informative.

I would strongly recommend you try to get admitted to this program. Huggs

March 6, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member.
Iโ€™ve been going to Pulmonary Rehab and It has helped me a lot.
They evaluate you and teach you exercises to do to build up your strength. I was a couch potato so I lost a lot of muscle.
They will also teach you how to breath while doing the excerises.
You will definitely benefit from it. ๐Ÿ™‚

March 5, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It is a good thing ๐Ÿ˜Š

March 5, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Detroit, MI

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Essex, UK

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In