Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Has any of you been told by your doctor what highest altitude you can go in with your COPD.

January 18, 2021
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes I had to move from New Mexico because I was above 6000 ft. Altitude higher than 3000 the oxygen is lower and harder on your lungs

April 13, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It's really not a question of anyone telling you that you can't go above a certain altitude, it's a question of whether you'll need O2 and how much. Given enough O2, you could go to the top of Everest if you were so inclined. We all need O2 if we go high enough, and those of us with COPD often need more O2 the higher we go. If you don't use O2 when you're at sea level, you might need O2 in Denver, at 5300 feet, or you might not need O2 until you got to the top of Pike's Peak, which is 14,000 feet, I think. Part of it depends on how well you exchange O2 for CO2 and some of it is just luck of the draw. There are people who don't have COPD who have a very hard time in Denver with altitude sickness and others who can do Pike's Peak with no problems. You just need to know what YOUR limits are, and a lot of that depends on your experience. I know I need lots of O2 in Denver and I don't go there much unless I can have a scooter to get around. Otherwise it takes way too much O2 and I can't carry enough to make it worthwhile.

January 18, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes. My daughter lives in Colorado. Altitude is just to high for me. Plus airplane travel hard too. My son lives in England and air travel is just to long. After this Pandemic is better, they can visit me in Campbell, California.

April 16, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

When I was diagnosed my pulmonary doctor said I should be careful in the high altitude as it may cause me some problems, But I drove semi for 20 years and never had any problems going thru any state. I drove out west thru many mountains for most of my driving career and living in TN I still travel up the Appalachian Mountain Trail and still no problems with breathing.

January 28, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I've been wanting to go to Colorado and see the mountains before I die would it not be wise to do

January 28, 2021

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Colorado Springs, CO

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Havasu City, AZ

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Camborne, UK