Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Havasu City, AZ

I am going to be taking a four hour flight next month from Arizona to Chicago. I have heard that flying in a plane is not good with having COPD is that true?

July 29, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It should be fine. If you have a portable oxygen machine, check with airlines to see if you can take it. I have had no problems with flying. And I have flown to Hawaii and Alaska.

July 30, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Talk with your doc to see if he has any concerns about how you'll do at altitude. Cabins are pressurized to about 8,000 feet, so it you don't do well at altitude, you will need supplementary O2 for your flight. There is a test called the High Altitude Simulation Test that your doc may be able to do for you. If you will need supplementary O2, you need to know and make the appropriate arrangements to fly with it. It's somewhat time consuming to make the arrangements, so get started now.,

July 30, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes

July 29, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

the only time is if your blood count is down, i cant fly because of these two problens

August 9, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

hi there I fly every year in oct to Cyprus from here in the u k no problems but don't forget your meds xx

August 6, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Brecon, UK