Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I have only in the past been given no more than 10mg. Was prescribed by er doctor.

June 27, 2021
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My body has got to used to Prednisone not my fault
the doctors have been prescribing them to me for years now I can have them any time I take ill there have giving me a card to get them from any chemist I hope all is having a great day babs Evans Hartlepool Cleveland UK🇬🇧

July 1, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

That dose seems a bit on the high side for a treatment Outside the hospital. Age and weight are taken into account, but the dosage probably ends up the same to beat off an Acute flare-up. My Doc usually gives an antibotic to work in concert with the steroids. Over 5-7 days time things usually balance out well.
From my experience, I cannot take that many pills at one time. I will take them over several hours. But you do want to take the prednisone early in the day, prefer with food (or at least milk). More water will be need after both meds. If you are uncomfortable with this dosage, just let your Doc know. She may agree a bit less can be just as effective for you to feel better and be well.

June 27, 2021 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I don't know that what the patient weighs is a reasonable consideration when prescribing prednisone; it may be, but I'm not a doctor. What I do know is that if you've only taken 10 mgs before, you'll find this dose significantly more powerful and it may be that you need that power to help you get your exacerbation under control. I would make sure that you're being closely monitored, either by your doc or other medical professionals if you're hospitalized or by your family and friends if you're at home. If at home, make sure they know to get you to medical help ASAP if there's any indication that things aren't going well.

June 27, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Sometimes Dr's don't know what they doing on Saturday,my daughter went to the chemist for a emergency treatment pack ,she handded the predistone card over the counter but couldn't get them the Dr didn't put the dosage on the card so i bought .liquid mucus medicine to try and ease things for me till Monday there is times when I could scream 😱 but all have a mice day

July 4, 2021
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I've been prescribed prednisone many times but not more than 60 mlg for a day when I was hospitalized under medical supervision I was given larger doses My pulmonary doctor doesn't want me to take it at all

June 29, 2021

Related Questions

View All