Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
November 18, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I'm dealing with this as well. I'm afraid to go out because if I'm not having a good day it's very hard to go to an appointment. Friday I had PCP appt and my breathing was pretty bad. I couldn't wait to get home n try to relax. That week was not a good one and had a flareup that I wasn't over with. On Tuesday I had to go out and Managed to get dressed and uber was outside waiting and I think it was anxiety and panic that set off the worst flareup I've had so far. It's cold here now n rainey n I know what the cold air can do. I was at the door looking at the Uber ride and couldn't stop hyperventilating I dropped everything and got to my oxygen I couldn't breathe and had mucus pouring from mouth n nose.... I finally started getting control of my breathing but I missed my ride and appt. So I had to go this morning and I got up earlier than I normally would. I didn't do anything I didn't have to do. I made sure I was dressed n had coat on n portable oxygen was on and my Uber came about 5 minutes after I was ready. I tend to wait til the last minute then I'm trying to do things n get to the ride and I needed to stop that and just be ready before the ride. All that stress just makes breathing harder then the anxiety starts and panic n I sure don't need that. This morning went great and I needed that to happen to build my confidence up. My advice to you is to have everything you need ready the night before. Get up earlier and slowly start getting ready don't wait til the last minute and be ready about 5-10 minutes before you're leaving n sit n do breathing exercise. I did that this morning and everything went really well actually the best I've been so far when I have to go out. Hope this helps you n wishing you the best

November 21, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have the same issues, panic when I think I am late to get somewhere. I have learned to allow twice as long to get ready to go somewhere. Have to stop and rest frequently, so just bathing and fixing hair is a real task. The medications cause this anxiety, I was never like this before.

November 21, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My doctor tried a several medications with me and final found 0.5mg of Lorazepam would keep my panic attacks under control.

November 20, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have a similar problem when I go out in public. Talked to my doctor, he recommended vitamin D3 for a start.
Where I live (central Saskatchewan) winters tend to be long with very little sunlight the D3 compensates for this.
He told me that there is increasing research which suggests vitamin deficiency is a major problem for older people.
After taking them for about a week I did seem to feel better.
I bought a generic product cost was about $12 for a 6 month supply.

December 10, 2025
MyCOPDTeam

How can you manage the anxiety about leaving the house that developed since 2021?

Feeling anxious about leaving home when you have COPD is completely understandable, especially when breathlessness can feel frightening. Many people with COPD experience this kind of anxiety, and it's important to know you're not alone.

Here Show Full Answer

How can you manage the anxiety about leaving the house that developed since 2021?

Feeling anxious about leaving home when you have COPD is completely understandable, especially when breathlessness can feel frightening. Many people with COPD experience this kind of anxiety, and it's important to know you're not alone.

Here are some practical strategies that may help:

Breathing techniques:
* Practice pursed-lip breathing to help control your breathing when you feel anxious
* Try to slow your breathing down and stay as calm as possible when symptoms arise
* Use breathing techniques specifically designed for walking and activity

Building confidence gradually:
* Start with short trips close to home and gradually increase distance as you feel more comfortable
* Pulmonary rehabilitation exercises done at home can help build your confidence for going out
* Regular practice of breathing and walking techniques has helped many people feel more confident leaving their house

Preparation matters:
* Always carry your rescue inhaler when you go out
* Plan your outings for times when you typically feel strongest
* If possible, have someone accompany you initially until your confidence builds Managing the fear:
* Try to distinguish between anxiety-driven breathlessness and actual breathing difficulties - this awareness can help reduce panic
* Remember that anxiety itself can make breathing feel worse, creating a cycle that's important to break
* Consider connecting with others who understand what you're going through for emotional support

The timing of when this started (2021) suggests something triggered this change. Sometimes a scary breathing episode or exacerbation can create lasting anxiety about having symptoms while away from home. This is a normal reaction, but it doesn't have to be permanent.

If these strategies don't help enough, it's worth discussing your anxiety with your healthcare provider. They may have additional resources or suggestions specific to your situation.

November 18, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ormond Beach, FL