Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cleveland, OH

Hi. Does anyone have trouble flying with COPD? I'm not on oxygen at this point. Thanks!

August 17, 2022
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Have had no problem flying...I have stage 3 and on oxygen 24/7. The only problem I have is getting to my luggage as the airports are so large so I just make sure there is a wheelchair to take me there .......

September 21, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you for your reply!

August 19, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It was my pulmonologist who told me due to having Copd stage 4, he said I would need oxygen above 4000 feet.
Had a breathing test results were ok.
I have been at 4000 feet, and oxygen was ok.
Thank you Jean

August 18, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Flying with COPD is a bit of a puzzle until you do it and figure out if you have a problem. The difficulty is that there aren't any tried and true rules about who needs O2 to fly and who doesn't and the indicators just aren't very reliable. If you have no problem and good O2 saturation (when measured with an oximeter) at low altitude, there's a fairly decent chance that you'll do well enough at altitude to not pass out or get into really deep do-do. If you're really concerned, there is a test called the High Altitude Simulation Test that you could ask for. That will tell you whether you'll need O2 at what altitude. If you've ever been to Denver and felt a little short of breath or that you couldn't quite breathe deeply, I'd find some O2 to take with me. I flew for a lot of years after I had COPD before I needed O2 to fly.

Bonnie, if you're only on O2 at night and not during the day for exercise exertion or anything, I'd venture a guess that you can fly with supplementary O2 and with supplementary O2, you could probably do whatever you wanted to do at 4000 feet. I would suggest that you see a pulmonologist, and if your doc is a pulmonologist, ask why you're limited to about 4,000 feet and no flying. Unless you get a good explanation that tells you why supplementary O2 wouldn't work for you, I wouldn't buy what you were told.

August 17, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have COPD stage four
doctor told me I cannot travel above 4000 feet but this is when my husband and I are traveling in our RV, I am on oxygen at night time only
Also my doctor told me I could not fly.
Hope you’re having a good day be safe stay positive

August 17, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Havasu City, AZ

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Northern California

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
London, UK