Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Las Vegas, NV

I just read the article about bronchitis and emphysima and I am still confused. Reason being, the first doctor I had told me I had emphysima, much to my surprise. Then I moved, changed doctors and this one said, "no. you have cronic bronchitis." Well next I spoke to my pulminologist and he said, "no, it's emphysima." I am so confused!! Cough a lot, mucas comes up on occasion so it isn't really a dry cough but then, not always productive. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have given… read more

October 6, 2022
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I'd say it's emphysema/COPD, treatment is the same. I think a person with COPD could have chronic bronchitis.

October 8, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Obsession? Besides your three Docs, my two Rx/Drug dealers and Google, We're all confused. But not obsessed. 🤔 Some call COPD an "umbrella term" for the mixture of SO many symptoms. PLUS almost a half dozen others seldom mentioned. Like Asthma, ILD or CF, and PH or C. Don't forget AATD - it's the genetic version which affects Enzymes in the liver and lungs at the same time. Double-whammy points!

I don't want to sound like an Expert. Or a prude. Or like I'm getting obsessed. The point IS: Knowing the exact "version" of your Respiratory conditions changes little with regard to treatment options going forward. That's only my opinion.
Others get more mileage out of chasing down the exact explanation for their own satisfaction. I say the race begins at the starting line - Right where WE are!
Welcome to this self-help Forum and wishing you the best in finding the Resources and Connections you need to run a Good Race.

(ps. Coughing, mucus, nasal drip all equal Bronchitis for me. But I have the Emphysema too because I smoked. Too long ago. MY Tips: Invest in both a Cough lozenges and Flavored bottled water companies. Both will help you through the days that are UPside Down. And you can still be way ahead of the next guy!)
https://youtu.be/SvATna0mzCg
Be well!

October 6, 2022 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks to all of you who gave thought to my questions. Stay well.

October 7, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Rolland's absolutely right. It would have been a lot easier had your pulmonologist told you that you have COPD and that includes both emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Most of us have elements of both. The only time I really have any symptoms of chronic bronchitis is when I get sick, and that happens rarely, but when it does, that up from your toes cough can scare anyone. Most of the time, my symptoms are mostly being short of breath, which is the result of my emphysema. The treatments for both are bronchodilators, some targeting the small bronchioles and others the large (often referred to as LAMAs and LABAs), and inhaled corticosteroids. Just call it COPD and be done with it. Any pulmonologist will know what you're talking about.

October 6, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Steinbach, MB

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Syracuse, NY