Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question đź’­
My. Pleasant MI

effect my lungs with gen. Anesthesia? Doc said it would take longer for me to wake up. Other choice is an epidural. Not having that!

October 8, 2022
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member 🙇🏼‍♀️ I had a total hip replacement 2 1/2 years ago and the anesthesiologist and I agreed that I would do much better with an epidural. He used lidocaine topical and then the needle. Honestly I felt nothing. And the minute he injected the medication I had no more pain in my hip. I remember saying Hallelujah and praising God for it. The discomfort afterwards was from them giving me Morphine for pain without asking me if I had any pain. And I had an allergic reaction to it.
Make sure you feel comfortable with the course of action before and after.
Praying you have a great response with the all of it.
God Bless you and Breathe Easy

October 8, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Possible to medical info, NIH, etc, do a Google search:
I did this one and got useful results:
<< COPD patient operation epidural or general anesthesia >>

https://www.google.nl/search?q=COPD+patient+ope...

October 11, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

If you have general anesthesia you will be intubated as a matter of course. People with COPD often are quite frightened of being intubated and think their chances of coming off the ventilator aren't very good, so they resist having general anesthesia. My suggestion is that you talk with both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist to find out what experience they've had working with people with COPD and what would they recommend given their experience. If you're not comfortable with their answers, find docs for the surgery you do feel comfortable with. Don't rule out any options before you know exactly what the advantages and disadvantages of all the options are.

October 8, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi! When I had my hip replacement at the hospital I had an epidural. to my surprise, they gave me a quick painless local anesthetic where the epidural would go, so I didnt even feel the epidural! So dont worry! Also a general anesthetic is dangerous for COPD patients… it affects the lung function they said. Good luck with your operation

October 8, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks. Very helpful sight.

October 21, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question đź’­
Norton, KS

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question đź’­
Plainview, NY

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question đź’­
Collierville, TN

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In