Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I know you’re supposed to breath Thru nose then out with pursed lips but I get so out of breath end up gasping g for air Thru mouth. Can’t seem to stay calm and do it properly. Anyone know how to do it.

February 7, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Actually, staying calm is the biggest battle I fight every day. Lots of times I have to choose to catch my breath or urinate, I can concentrate on breathing or holding my bladder, guess which wins. Obviously, I cannot make to the bathroom, I'm stuck where I'm standing trying to catch my breath. I am no longer embarrassed at all about this issue, it is part of my life.
How I stay calm: one big factor when did last use my nebulizer? Every time I get up to walk is an experiment, I take it very slow pausing frequently breathing deeply with pursed lips and do an ongoing self-assessment. This may sound strange, but I will try to explain it. I developed this to try and control full blown panic attacks (not fun at all). I try to get my brain to disconnect from my emotion response which is difficult but necessary as the first step. The next is to get my breathing rhythm under control, I start out with the biggest and longest exhale I can, inhale as slowly as I can. I repeat this until I truly have control,
Years ago, I felt like needed to re learn how to breath every day and felt like dork, (what heck is going on here).
I found humor and acceptance of my condition necessary to keep marching forward.
I hope my description clear enough and be useful to at least one person.

February 10, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Don't worry about breathing through your mouth for PLB. It works whether you inhale through your nose or your mouth. The important part is making sure your exhale is at least twice as long as your inhale. I've been doing this for years, and it works for me. When I'm exercising or going quickly, I'm a mouth breather, so my PLB is mouth-breathing. I just make sure that my exhales are longer than my inhales and it works just fine.

February 7, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I breathe in through my mouth OR my nose. Breathing out I make sure to breathe out all the way which flattens my stomach area. Breathing in, I fill my lungs left and right first and keep breathing in til my stomach area expands.

February 14, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Great job, @A MyCOPDTeam Member ! So glad you’re finding your rhythm. ❤️

Sunday, 12-FEB-23

February 12, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I really appreciate your explanation! I walked to clubhouse in the complex here only stopping once. I counted 1 to 4 as I stepped. On every 4 I took a breath and exhaled on next 4. Now I need to practice. Thank you. It ain’t easy!

February 11, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Subscriber asked a question 💭

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Western, Pa