Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
January 6
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members shared their experiences with the frightening sensation of becoming breathless after nighttime bathroom trips, with many describing... Read more

Members shared their experiences with the frightening sensation of becoming breathless after nighttime bathroom trips, with many describing how even simple movements like bending over or walking short distances can trigger severe shortness of breath. Several members offered practical strategies that have helped them manage these episodes, including using pursed lip breathing techniques, keeping portable oxygen tanks nearby, using bedside urinals to avoid unnecessary trips, sitting upright for a few minutes before lying back down, and practicing daily respiratory exercises and rehab to maintain lung function. A recurring theme was the importance of timing your breathing with movement, giving yourself grace when anxiety creeps in, and trusting that oxygen levels will stabilize even when it feels scary in the moment.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

@williammccrea the more replies the better! The first reply is from Al Intel (AI) and is very helpful as is yours. @A MyCOPDTeam Member thanks the post. Your share is very helpful.
Last night after getting up, I lay back in bed with my heart beating fast & very Short of Breath. I felt quite alone. Your share reminds me that in our community I am not alone. And AI reminds of tools to use. Thanks all and may we all breathe well.

January 6
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I don't use oxygen at night so the concentrator is turned off. I do have a small aa size portable tank that I can carry with me if I need to get up to the toilet in the middle of the night. When I get back into bed and relaxed, I turn the tank off.
Before I was ever on any oxygen I would do some pursed lip breathing then take my time, there and back. Back in bed I'd still be doing the pursed lip until my body and breathing was once again relaxed .
There are some videos here that show you how to do tge pursed lip correctly and also one for walking and breathing.

January 7
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member it's not necessary. My resting rate is sufficient. Just at 500 to 1 liter at rest, my saturations rise to 97 to 99 so I would be at risk of oxygen toxicity. Too much oxygen is damaging.

January 11
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I've always had good resting saturations. My rest sats are usually somewhere between 93 to 97. When I am mobile or any exertion my saturations can drop from the mid to low 80s. Strangely they usually drop about 30 seconds after i have sat down. I use oxygen at 3 liters when I'm up and about or exercising. My fev1 is 18% which I have maintained for about 5 plus years.

January 10 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@FernDaiziel I am wondering why you aren't on oxygen at night? Most people are prescribed oxygen at night before they need it during the day,

January 9

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Benton, AR

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bloomington, IN