Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Chilliwack, BC Canada

Glaucoma is optic nerve damage, inhalors like Eliipta, Atrovent, Spiriva, Tudorza all increase pressure in eyes, cannot be used. My Doctor cannot seem to find something usable. Does anyone else have this problem?

Now I am back to using only Salbutamol and Advair and they don't work too well 9n shortness of breath anymore and I cannot get oxygen prescribed despite breathing tests saying it should be.

February 18, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

True story. I began wearing reading glasses about a year before my COPD blew a gasket. I had the same concerns about our meds and researched them thoroughly. Many "expert" sources do not point out the concerns about aCH to this day. My eye doctor ask about smoking but never explained why. Those aCH meds act on the nervous system, a lot like Nicotine does in the body.
Anyway, the eye doc explained to me that many get angle closure (and cataracts) as we age by default. Both can be managed well with regular care. One type of drops used for glaucoma are beta-blockers, similar to high blood pressure medicines. But because they go right in the eye, they don't cause Shortness of Breath issues like HBP pills may when taken by mouth.

February 18, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Your concern about the ingredients of our Inhaler meds is a valid one. The component known as antiCholinergic (aCH) gives the most concern, with Steroids following a close second. Little is known about aCH, except that it is founds in many meds including over the Counter treatments too. They have a way of stacking up and causing weird and unknown issues. High eye pressure from excess fluids is one of them. See here:
https://www.drugs.com/article/anticholinergic-d...

The aCH ingredient is found in just about every double- and triple- breathing treatment inhaler we have to choose from. Your Lung doctor will shrug her shoulders and send you back to the Eye doctor. Don't let them play Ping-pong with you. Bring a list of ALL meds you take to the visit and she will know which ones you should focus on to reduce your problems. But in the end, don't be surprised if you just get yet another Med - probably eye drops - to solve the occular fluid problems. Be well.

February 18, 2023 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You should talk to a pulmonologist. Ask about doing nedulizer meds instead of inhalers especially if on medicare.

February 18, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Interesting information Rollando! I have cataracts too - no mention of management, just you'd have 20/20 vision if you had no cataracts or nerve damage! I will ask the eye doctor about it - no more shortness of breath- I can't walk over 15 ft now! Be nice if I could do something
I got reading and distance glasses about 6 yrs before my COPD made it's presence known. 🤗

February 21, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you all for your responses, my pulmolingist Doctor had a melt down during COVID_19 and I am still waiting for a new one - hoping my regular Doctor can find one. I am in Canada and it is covered by medical but we have a very bad Doctor shortage.
You are exactly right on the eye doctor, first thing my Doctor is setting with eye specialist. Thank you for the warning on being used as a ping pong! I have had glaucoma longer then COPD, so far the COPD is progressing much faster. Didn't even know they had eye drops for glaucoma. Our illness sure has a learning curve, doesn't it!
Thank you for the link and I will look up Trelogy.
Got antibiotics and prednisone to pick up tomorrow- will ask pharmacist if prednisone safe to take. Not much for a blown up eye or blindness! 😬

February 18, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Collierville, TN

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
London, TX

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In