Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lincoln, CA

Hi my COPD friends,
Is anyone getting disability? I have applied but it is taking forever. I can't work because I can't breathe.

September 25, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks everyone. I got a lawyer to assist.

September 26, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi, @A MyCOPDTeam Member, do you know your PFT numbers for your gender, height and weight?

There is something Social Security puts out called the Disability Blue Book which details what measurements are needed to determine your case status.

REF: https://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org/blue-b...

Additionally, it behooves the SSA to delay processing your request until 7 months to a year have passed since your application date, as it’s a passive way for them to push you back to work and keep their rolls low for recipients.

So, if it’s been longer than a year since you applied, you may benefit from engaging a disability lawyer who is trained to argue on your behalf and may take some of the stress off you while waiting for approval.

Since you’re in CA, you should be getting short term disability from the payments you made into the system for all the time you worked. Look for a “CASDI” payment note on your last paycheck from when you worked.

After you’ve been on CASDI for about 3 months, you can then apply for Federal SSA Disability. Once approved, your federal payments are about half of what you received from the State of CA.

*** not a lawyer / this is not legal advice ***

(Too wordy - part 1 of 2)

Monday, 25-SEP-23

September 25, 2023 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes I applied in my 50’s and was immediately accepted. Copd,back surgery and anxiety. I did retain an attorney even though I didn’t need one. I wish you a speedy decision and breath easy.

September 25, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Oh, excellent news, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. So glad one stress is removed from your life.

Happy Leap Year Day. Hugs.
29-FEB-24

February 29, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I got disability thanks everyone. Sure does help

February 26, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sewell, NJ

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bonifay, FL