Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I’m wondering if flying is the answer. He is on O2 24/7. His portable unit does not do near as well as his home unit in controlling his breathing. I’m not even sure how he could walk down the jetway to board a plane. I’m so frustrated. This trip is so important to him. He’s very stubborn and not honest with his Drs or family. I’m the one that watched what this disease is doing to him day to day. Lately just taking a shower is a big overwhelming event for him. I know there are days lately he has… read more

July 2, 2024
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Airlines are very good at providing wheelchair service in the airport and getting you on and off the plane as long as you request the service. Your Dr. has to fill in a form describing your oxyen requirements and what model of concentrator you will have with you onboard. A travel agent can help you with what you need to do to get this personalized service.

September 12, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I know it’s pricey, but did you look at Amtrak for going from Kansas to Philadelphia, @A MyCOPDTeam Member? Not sure where you are in Kansas, it will take over a day, but you could do it in a sleeper car for the most comfort, if your budget allows.

Otherwise, did you talk to the family about setting up a facetime or a zoom video of the wedding as it takes place?

They can get a discrete tripod and put it facing the altar to be able to see the wedding vows, if that helps…

I’m sorry your partner is hiding his quality of life issues, but as @A MyCOPDTeam Member says, maybe it’s time for some uncomfortable conversations with the extended family?

If nothing else, treating this like it was still covid and zooming or face timing in may allow your partner to participate remotely without feeling so excluded.

Hugs, as I know this sort of situation is very frustrating.

Tuesday night, 10-SEP-24

September 10, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

There’s still plenty of time for zooming, @A MyCOPDTeam Member. Just know you did your best.

Wednesday, 11-SEP-24

September 11, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I thought about Amtrak, he didn’t think he could tolerate it. I think I thought of everything. I actually think he was relieved when I gave up trying. Last word from son and bride was they were going to try to set up a zoom thing. Haven’t heard anything yet.

September 11, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

He did finally tell his sons he wouldn’t be able to attend because he’s having a hard time getting over the pneumonia he was in the hospital with a month ago. That was big for him. He never blames anything on the COPD, it’s always pneumonia. His soon to be daughter in law is supposed to be trying to set up something with FaceTime. Haven’t heard a plan yet and the wedding is Saturday. He was having a bad day today. Made me so thankful that we weren’t trying to travel to NJ.

September 10, 2024

Related Questions

View All