Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
September 14, 2024
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

In my experience, SOB - even with good saturation numbers - can result from anxiety/depression, exertion, increased CO2, reduced lung capacity, or any combination of these. If it continues, you may want to check in with your pulmonologist.

September 14, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My Dr. put me on 0.5 mg of lorazepam twice a day for "air hunger". Between that and breathing exercises, my SOB has been reduced in intensity which for me at stage 4 is a great relief. Breathing exercises for me is concentrating on exhaling as much air from lungs to remove "trapped" air.

September 18, 2024 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi SandraPeacock2, welcome. There are several possibilities on why. You need to talk it over with your pulmonologist. My Dr calls it "air trapping." With emphysema I don't exchange air as easily and I don't get all the air out of my lungs. Thus trapping some air in my lungs causing the SOB. I have to do pursed lipped breathing and some breathing exercises to clear my lungs.
But it was that conversation with my Dr. that helped me understand why and what to do about it. The most case is you are not exchanging CO2 and that can be dangerous for you.

September 15, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I also am SOB with good SPO2 readings. Believe anxiety has a lot to do with it even though I'm not aware I'm anxious.

September 19, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have no answer. I have the same problem some days as well. I'm on O2 24/7 and still come up SOB some days. Sometimes I think it's anxiety???

September 14, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Gastonia, NC

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Georgetown, IN