Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I'm afraid that patients are put on O2 much too soon, and for no realistic reasons, and plus this treatment is not revised regularly by doctors, as patients could be sedate by them from it sooner.

Following Gold COPD 2025 Report, the guidelines regarding Oxygen therapy are
- In patients with Stable COPD and moderate resting or exercice-induced arterial desaturation, prescription of long-term oxygen does not lenghten time to death or first hospitalization or provide sustained benefit in health… read more

December 31, 2024 (edited)
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I had oxygen therapy briefly ( 2 months) in 2019 after nearly dying from lack of oxygen- that's how my COPD was diagnosed.
When the oxygen was stopped after 2 months because it was no longer needed, I was not addicted and didn't miss it. Now I am back on it as I cannot walk across a 12 foot room without it and lost 25 pounds. The alternative treatment here was morphine and anti- depressants so I " wouldn't feel when I couldn't breathe." So, I have to say I prefer oxygen. I don't need it 24/ 7, but after 3 yrs as a shut in- it is awesome to get out, be able to get myself a glass of water or a coffee without help.
I think it depends more on the person/ circumstances then just placing people on oxygen. I am monitored monthly by my family Doctor and an oxygen tech. I have four inhalors ( one is rescue only)
Happy New Year and to better treatment options in the coming year.

December 31, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Remember to breathe in through the nose and out through pursed lips. That will bring your oxygen levels up faster. Also using a small hand fan, battery operated, to blow air onto your face will trick the brain into not thinking you are so breathless. I find this useful when negotiating my stairs. My COPD is stage 4 with an fev1 of 25%. 17 years since my original diagnosis. Happy New Year to all and I’m hoping to see 2030 :)

January 1, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I whole-heartedly agree with you @A MyCOPDTeam Member!! I often read on here about people who have just been diagnosed with COPD who are all of a sudden on oxygen and nebulizers and inhalers and I can't believe it!! I am at moderate emphysema stage and I have one inhaler to use when I need it. That's it! Thank God for the Pulmonologist that I have! May I wish you a very happy and healthier New Year my friend? I enjoy reading your articles you post here; very informative, so thank you! Chris December 31, 2024

December 31, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Just remember all your organs need that oxygen Some people are put on at night others all the time but if you get SOB frequently your organs need that O2 to run smoothly

February 3, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My respiratory consultant said that if I maintain O2 saturation between 88 and 92% then no need for oxygen therapy.

January 1, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lexington, KY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In