Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Wisconsin Dells, WI

I went to the DMV to renew my driver's license and had my oxygen on. The clerk didn't say anything about it, but apparently made a report. I received a notification requiring me to have my doctors fill out 3 pages of questions about my health. They will suspend my license if I fail to comply, which was suspended once for being
late. I've had to do this for 4 years now. The only ticket I've ever had was 25 years ago for a seat belt violation.

January 18, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I just renewed on line...no worries!

January 19, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I read thru the site RollandO sent me. The practice of medical reviews in Wisconsin ended in 2012. I complete the placard form myself and send it back. Never had an issue with that. DMV has sent me a new license with 3 restrictions printed on the back [ daylight driving only, continuous oxygen, and 30 mile radius from home] I think I need a new pulmonary doc! Now I'm debating how much I want to fight this discrimination.

January 20, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

When I renewed mine I had my oxygen on & nothing was said! I live in Oklahoma.

January 19, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Tricia.
This question has come up before and the most reasonable answer has been NO - inas muchas the primary medical reason for wearing Oxygen is not a root cause for IMPAIRING your driving in and of itself. Things may have changed.

Clearly, many medications have such a warning and say SO right on the bottle. Now, unless the DMV gal was trying to do you a favor and help you get a parking placard or some other Handicap privilege(s) - YOU have just been discriminated against! 🤬
BUT, according to this article - Proving IT may be any entirely different challenge:
https://sprylyfe.com/blogs/oxygen-blog/state-la...
be Well. . and well informed.

State Laws About Driving With Oxygen in the US
State Laws About Driving With Oxygen in the US
January 18, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It has to be something with your state laws. I have never heard of it. Here in Missouri no and all it takes is a doctors note to get a placard for handicapped parking.

January 20, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
South Beloit, IL