Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Boscobel, WI
March 16, 2025
 · 
Reactions
Inhalers and COPD: How To Choose and What To Know Read Article...

Answer Summary

Members responded to the question about rescue inhaler use with a wealth of practical advice, with the general consensus being that rescue... Read more

Members responded to the question about rescue inhaler use with a wealth of practical advice, with the general consensus being that rescue inhalers should be used only as needed, while daily maintenance inhalers and nebulizer treatments do the heavy lifting. Several members shared that using a nebulizer or rescue inhaler before a maintenance inhaler like Trelegy helps open airways so the medication reaches deeper into the lungs. A recurring theme was the value of this community for filling in gaps that busy pulmonologists often leave, with members also mentioning tools like the Aerobika device and salt inhalers for managing wheezing and clearing mucus.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, My doctor also told me to do the nebulizer first and wait 5 mins to do my Trelegy inhaler. He said it helps open up the airways so that the powder from the maintenance inhaler can go deeper into my lungs. It does help.

March 16, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My doctor also said only as needed, I use a daily inhaler, they call a maintenance inhaler, and you only use it once a day and it's supposed to help keep your lungs open all day. But my doctor has me use my nebulizer in the morning , then my trilogy inhaler and I'm good to go for the rest of the day. Hardly ever have to use my rescue inhaler. Hope that helps. Have an awesome day

March 16, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My doctor told me to use the Ventolin about 10 minutes before I get up and move. This has made a huge difference for me. It has worked really well for me, especially if I'm going to be on my feet for a while. Sobs are nowhere as intense and only requiring the pursed lip to settle back down.
Wheezing is sorted with my salt inhaler, usually in combination with my Aerobika. They work really well together.
I don't need to nebulize often, usually only when I'm recovering from an infection. When I do, I only use a saline solution. If I'm recovering from an infection, then my lungs can't keep up the effect of the Albuterol, which increases my heart rate too much. A doctor told me that nebulize Albuterol is equivalent to an entire pump.
PS. I am prescribed to take x2 puffs morning and night and when needed. I always take my inhalers first thing before I exit the bed in the morning, this helps me to get moving .

March 19, 2025 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Trelegy is prescribed for once a day.

May 23
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I nebulize Albuterol every day, but never heard that it is equivalent to an entire pump! Keep up the good work, Fern. It's always good to know what you need and respond accordingly!

March 19, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Batesville, AR

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Olmsted, OH

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In