Answer Summary
Members offered warm, practical guidance to someone wondering what it is like to use oxygen at night, with many sharing that it takes some... Read more
Have you ever been Tied up?
Well Kmc I take you have just been put on nocturnal oxygen.
It takes a little getting used to. First you have to remember to put it on. Then you don't want to keep turning over in bed or learn to turn back and forth not over. I am a tosser, turner and roller. I have wound up wrapped up in the hose many times. LOL, not funny when you need to get up an pee.
After you get used to it, it becomes a safety net for you. Because you will sleep better and not wake up tired any more. I look forward to bed time as I know I will have oxygen and not struggle as much to breathe. Helps me relax and makes it easier to get some sleep. I put the concentrator in the other room so it is not so noisy or warm from it running.
How has it been going so far?
@A MyCOPDTeam Member, it's really no different than wearing the cannula during the day. Only difference is you don't feel different and you will wake up a little less tired. What you want to make sure of is that the nasal prongs are turning downwards so they don't irritate the soft tissue of the nose. I use a nasal moisturizer and keep my cannula clean and soft. I change it every two weeks to a new one. My Concentrator is set at 2.0 liters per minute as per the recommendation of my doctor. You may or may not have little hickups at first, even now I sometimes forget to put it on before I get into bed and have to get out of bed to get it to put it on. After you get used to it, it starts to feel more natural
@A MyCOPDTeam Member It took a little getting used too for sure. Been doing it for many years now. At first you will probably pull it off in your sleep several times, I still do every now and then. I also noticed my nose getting raw at times from the Cannula. I bought this stuff to help with the Irritation NasoGEL off amazon for a $8. Your body will appreciate the extra o2 at night. P.S. Don't crank it too high, don't need 100% o2, anything above 94+ average at night is fine.....
Sometimes propping yourself up with a couple of pillows can help.
I've gotten used to it. It takes a little while, but you'll feel better and more rested in the morning once you get used to sleeping with O2.