Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Toronto, ON

We are beginning to get smoke from wildfires in my area. As well as being hot (30c). A usual summer occurrence. My throat keeps needing to be cleared and I can feel my breath being more shallow/short breathes. I just found out about my diagnosis recently. Summer is horrible for me. Never knew why but I guess this is part of it. How do people manage through hot summers? I’m trying to control my breathing to be deeper but it’s hard cause I’ve developed a hyper awareness of my breathing since… read more

June 4, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You could possibly invest in a dehumidifier for inside; I don't think there is a lot you can do for the humidity outside. If you have to be outside in the smoke, make sure you wear a mask @A MyCOPDTeam Member My niece has a small battery operated fan that she carries with her wherever she goes. She also uses washcloths or whatever you have and puts it on her neck; that keeps her body cooler.

June 4, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I stay inside. I use ceiling fans because my AC bothers my Arthritis. I love the sunshine. The light and warmth it supplies, but I won't go out . Skin cancer and Lupus are two of my other challenges. It makes me really sad that I can't just feel the sun on me. There are solutions to dealing with this, but I'm still in the process of learning

June 20, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

We run ourAC . Yup don't have to set to cold . The actual will circulate the air. It's a big help. I.ive in the smoke area too

June 5, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I just love the heat of summer. We have dry air here so humidity is not a problem.although we do have problems from wildfires smoke on occasion. I have no A/C so I use fans, drink water and slow down if I need to. We have sunshine year around but summer is the only time I'm not freezing. 🌞

June 6, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I’m on long term disability due to numerous medical conditions and mental health. Unfortunately cannot afford a dehumidifier or AC unit.

June 5, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Thomasville, GA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Northern Calif

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Smyrna Beach, FL