Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
June 16, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Without knowing if you're on oxygen at night, I am but still wake up and have to clear mucus.
I sleep with my head elevated at about 30 degrees. I drink Mullein tea twice a day once in the morning and once in the evening. [Some people take Mucinex] It has cut my mucus down to less than 1/2 of what it used to be. Still I wake up once a night and first thing in the morning and have to clear my mucus. Drinking plenty of water helps keep it thin.

You see your lungs rest and clear out all the dust and germs you have inhaled all day at night while you sleep. It always has but it normally just gets swallowed. We produce more mucus because of the damage to our lungs. Thus it is thicker and more than normal. So we need to wake up and clear it.

June 16, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I use Carbocisteine which i find great for mucus thinning BUT with exacerbations I get my wife to use a percussion massager on my back (in the area of the lungs) which releases lots of mucus quite easily.
Hope it helps. (Try Amazon "percussion massager - around £20)

June 20, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You may need oxygen at night. That's how i started on oxygen.

June 16, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Northampton, UK