Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
July 7, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Michael. This isn't the only time my primary care physician has dropped the ball where my care was concerned. I am on the hunt for a different PCP as we speak. I don't trust the one I had, and he's prone to pushing medication's that I don't feel I necessarily need.

July 12, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Lol gotta keep the humor

July 7, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

TameraWilson, I believe you must have misheard or misunderstood the number your doctor used. Because anything above 87% is normal and healthy oxygen levels. [With the exception for carbon dioxide retainers.]

Anything bellow 87% your body goes int self preservation mode. The only organs the get oxygen is your heart, lungs, and brain. The rest of your body dose not get oxygen and will do damage to your organs.

My doctor told me when I had my first exacerbation. That when your O2 levels get to 85% if you can not get it back up into the 90's within 5 minutes that I need to go to ER or call ambulance.

So maybe your doctor said or meant 85% would cause brain damage to scare you into seeking help. Just a guess but likely. Talk to him at the next visit about when you should go to the hospital for help so you are clear on procedures. You need to have an emergency plan written out incase a family member needs to know what to do when you're having a flare up.

July 12, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I would not pay much attention to that.

July 12, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Mine stays in the mid eighties, I can feel it when it drops lower, sometimes mid nineties depending on what I'm doing at work, like I said good thing I'm polish

July 7, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Bristol, UK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Baltimore, MD