Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Austin, TX
August 9, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I was pretty much home bound for approximately 4 years due to panic attacks and SOB. The amount of energy and focus required to regain control was astounding (lots of fun in public). My doctors would look at me with a blank face and offered no solutions. One doctor finally put me on a very small dose of lorazepam that I take sparingly which helped me learn how to have better control of my anxiety and breathing techniques.

August 20, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I take Buspirone----was only taking them when I thought I needed it. Dr. said No, take it everyday to make it work! So, 3 times a day for me. It is 5 mg. sometimes I take 2 if going somewhere & feel more stressed---

September 4, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Judith4, Anxiety is common. It is a primal response mechanism, the flight or fright feeling we get when something does not feel safe. It makes you tense up, tighten your chest, and you start to breathing really rapidly. It makes your COPD harder to deal with and your condition worse.
If your pulmonologist is recommending you look into getting an anxiety med. Mine did, but sent me to my GP to get put on them medication because in this state the pulmonologist can not prescribe a controlled medication.
My regular doctor already knows my resistance to taking any drugs. So she put me on a low dose med. That first one, I was not liking it. So changed it to another one and lower dose. I can split the pill and only take half and that helps.

*She also taught me some breathing tricks [very much the same as our PLB here] She also taught me when I first start to panic. To try to calm myself and my thoughts and 'Lower my shoulders.' It really makes a difference and can stop a panic attack. Breathe in through the nose, a count of 5. Slow your breaths, think of calm happy place.
I can make a 15 day supply of the medication last me 2 months. I only use a half of 0.5 MG when it gets really bad and I can't calm my breathing down.
Breathe Ez.......

August 11, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi, thanks for responding. Have you used either? The side effects for Xanax scare me. My pulmonologist suggested Xanax.

August 10, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Xanax and valium best treatment for anxiety

August 10, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Armidale, AU

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Georgetown, IN