Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

When you’re riding in a car, do you put the oxygen in first and sit and work around it..or do you sit first? They both seem really awkward! Second I just learned it’s best to pull the oxygen behind you, how do you go down stairs? I’m not being funny, honestly, I’m really trying to figure stuff out.
I have copd, emphysema, pulmonary sarcoidosis, bronchostasis ,ckd3b,chf,pulmonary hypertension and hashimotos..I think I named them all! Been on oxygen for a couple of weeks.💜💜

August 25, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The portable concentrators battery life depends on what setting you are using it on. They all tell you 12 hours on setting 1, but you actually get 4 hours on setting 4, which is what I use for walking.
What I do when I get some place to visit is turn it down to setting 2 which is adequate for sitting visiting with someone or reading etc. I just have to remember to turn it back up to go to the bathroom or the car.
The worst thing is using a portable in public restrooms! I was never a fan anyway and using them is just really awkward.
Also remember the settings on an Inogen are not liters, the pulse dose doesn't provide liters. They are just numbers and you might use a different setting that with a constant flow concentrator.

August 28, 2025 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have a mini g4 inogen it's 2.3 pounds. But it is only pulse at 1, 2 or 3 ltrs.

August 27, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Kellie. I also use the green tanks when I am out and about. But I don't drive. (and my profile picture lies! 🤣🏁)

As a front seat passenger, I put the larger E-tank in the REAR and drape the hose over headrest. That way, IT would be hard for it to become a projectile in case of an accident. It's a real "dance" to get in the car during bad weather just the same. 🕺

The smaller M-size tanks work well in a canvas tote bag and you could probably tuck it under your knees - even as a driver. BUT of course, you won't be able to go as far or stay as long as you desire.

You will need a lot of this 💪💪for carrying your tank up a flight if stairs. I can't go anywhere that has three stories anymore.
IT is a trade off, indeed.

be Well

August 26, 2025
MyCOPDTeam

For car travel with oxygen tanks, safety should be your top priority. It's generally easier to get seated first and then position your oxygen tank securely. Never store oxygen tanks in the trunk or leave them in a hot car as this can be dangerous. Make sure your tank is properly secured and within reach while traveling. For Show Full Answer

For car travel with oxygen tanks, safety should be your top priority. It's generally easier to get seated first and then position your oxygen tank securely. Never store oxygen tanks in the trunk or leave them in a hot car as this can be dangerous. Make sure your tank is properly secured and within reach while traveling. For navigating stairs while pulling oxygen, many MyCOPDTeam members have found success by:

• Taking it slow and steady
• Using handrails for support
• Having someone help carry the tank when possible
• Considering a backpack-style carrier for the tank when going up or down stairs
• Taking breaks as needed

Remember that it's perfectly normal to take time adjusting to oxygen therapy. Many members report feeling more confident with practice and finding methods that work best for their individual needs.

August 25, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
St. Paul, MN

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Denver, CO

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Decatur, IL