Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Denver, CO
June 6, 2025
 · 
Reactions
Video: Pursed Lip Breathing How-Tos Read Article...

Answer Summary

Members discussed how to manage oxygen needs while walking with a pulse concentrator, sharing that switching to continuous flow settings... Read more

Members discussed how to manage oxygen needs while walking with a pulse concentrator, sharing that switching to continuous flow settings during activity made a big difference in keeping oxygen levels stable. Several members offered practical tips, including adjusting POC settings higher during walks, carrying M6 tanks for better continuous flow outdoors, using bags with shoulder straps for hands-free carrying, and keeping spare tanks on hand. A heartwarming recurring theme was emotional adaptation, with one member sharing how naming her tank 'Hank' helped her overcome the stigma of using oxygen in public and embrace it as part of her daily routine.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

JeanKelly, You know that the POC are not numbered by "Liters" the are just settings right? I am on 2l but I set my Inogen up to 4 when walking on a long walk. Or 3 when just walking to the car, or in the store.
The pulse is a bit tricky to get used to. I just can't do a cadence and breathe with it. I just pay attention to making sure I am fully exhaling and breathe naturally. It will dose as you inhale.
Rehab will help you so much. Make sure you discuss this with the nurse there they will help with it.
Breathe Ez........

August 10, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, thanks so much for your info, and I love Big Hank. Now you got me thinking about different names😅

September 2
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Jean I got mine from Amazon. Looking at their merchandise now, they have an oxygen backpack for $31 and an oxygen tank shoulder bag for M6 @ $16. I made my own backpack so I could use both hands/arms when I went out to tend to my rose bushes etc. A purchased one would have saved me some frustration LOL! One of my grandsons took a picture of me working in the yard and posted it on FB … “my grandma doesn’t give up easily” Warmed my heart

August 15
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Jean the only time I use my compressor (which I bought at an estate sale) is when I’m traveling in a car. It provides adequate oxygen when I’m at rest, but never enough when I’m walking… feels like my lungs are starving for air!
I’ve always carried an M6 oxygen tank (wine bottle size) when I’m on the move outside of the house. I had a burlap bag in the trunk where I kept 3 more tanks, each one sheltered inside a long tube sock … OMG the sound of them clinking against each other led me to the sock idea LOL.

I kept E tanks on hand for shopping adventures, social gatherings, family events away from home etc. Any place I didn’t want to stress over ‘what was left’ in a smaller tank

There are 2 different regulators available for your tanks. One is pulse going up to 5 and also has two continuous options for 2L and 4L. The other regulator is continuous flow with multiple settings … mine goes to 8. As with any tank, always carry a spare and keep a cautious eye on its level. Having a portable concentrator in the car, is also a good backup as it’s charging while in there.

The bag I prefer to carry an M6 in has both a handle and also an adjustable shoulder strap. That way you can use it crossbody, over the shoulder or remove it all together and just use the handle. I do love options HA

Having chatted with you a few times now Jean, I think you will understand that the first six months after I retired were some of the hardest emotionally adapting to the need for oxygen 24/7. I didn’t go out much, feeling the stigma of needing to park in a handicap spot, walking into a store or cafe carrying an oxygen tank!!!
I became one of my residents (sad face) and completely unmotivated. There finally came the day when I had a meaningful conversation with myself!
“Self” I said, you have to own the fact that having an oxygen tank is now part of your everyday wardrobe when leaving home! “Self” listened and decided if the tank was now part of my life, then a name must be given to it.
Hank, the Tank was born that afternoon.
I would introduce him as Hank my tank, and we do life together (^_^)
Folks got a chuckle from his introduction and by owning it, I didn’t feel self conscious any longer.
When taking the bigger tank with me, they became known as Big Hank & Little Hank.
I’m sharing a picture of Big Hank

August 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I'll keep that in mind for the future. I have a Rhythm pulse right now, so there's no continuous on it. When walking and turn the oxygen up one L., sometimes it will help but others not much help . Thanks much!

August 9, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭