I am just wondering what the average liters of O2 are being used. Why some people turn it up sometimes, and then want to turn it down? How the doctors determine when to increase it.
I started out on 2l at night, and while ambulatory or anything strenuous. After having troubles keeping my O2 percentage up while walking, doctor it increased to 3l while walking/ strenuous.
Answer Summary
Members responded in detail to the question about oxygen liter settings, sharing how their prescriptions have changed over time due to disease... Read more
Good Morning Michael Z. When I am (pretending) to workout on the Treadmill or a bike or a walk, I crank my POC to 5 or 6 depending on need. When I am grocery store type walking I turn it down to 3 or 4. I watch my oximeter as a guide, but my lungs pretty much scream at me to let me know when to make these moves.
As always, chat w/your medical professional as we are all different.
As always, may you breathe well!
@A MyCOPDTeam Member Yes, I use a POC [portable oxygen concentrator] while walking or any time out of the house. They are only pulse dose. You can get pulse dose for your small oxygen tanks also to help last longer. It is hard to get used to the pulse dose while walking or exercising. But you don't want to pay attention to the dosage, you want to just keep breathing normally. I use my in home concentrator when exercising in the house or walking on my treadmill.
The numbers on the POC are not liters of oxygen being delivered. They are just setting numbers. I am on 3l and with my POC have to have it set on 4 or 5 to get the right amount of oxygen to meet 3 liters. My doctor used an oxygen flow meter to check the output it was putting out. You can buy them on line to check your own.
FYI; it took me 2 months of walking with it, to get used to the pulse dose and trying to keep my cadence.
On 02 24/7. Night time 1.5 - 2 Leters and during the day while sitting about the same. Activity during the day depending on activity 3 - 4 leters.
Two liters on my Inogen HOME units, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.
I don’t have a portable unit (way too big a fight with the equipment providers), so I use my SP02 Wellue continuous oxygen monitor ring when driving or exercising to monitor any oxygen drops, and deep breathing exercises to bring my saturation rates back up once the alarm signals.
If at home and struggling, I will put my oxygen on during hot / humid days, but mostly I spend my days actively so I use the pursed lip / deep breathing techniques to solve any issues.
Hoping this note finds you otherwise doing well. Late Tuesday night, 04-AUG-26
I’m Stage 4. Concentrator set to 3 24/7 unless showering or doing very light exercise in which case I set it to 4 or 4.5 then back to 3 when done.