You should let your pulmonologist know about it. I message mine just to keep him informed.
Drinking water will keep it thin and moving. If it is thick, you are Not drinking enough water. When I fist had the problem my doctor recommended then prescribed MucinexDM to thin it and help clear it. [The prescription was to make insurance pay for it.]
Since then I have learned and has helped me; That drinking Mullein tea, a cup or two a day does the same thing as Mucinex and it is a whole lot cheeper. [They have it in tincture or capsule form also.] A small can of pineapple juice will stop the coughing and also help break up the phlegm.
water is your best friend.
Exercise and deep breathing is the best way
Take care
Eric xx
Here are several techniques that can help manage mucus and reduce choking sensations:
• Practice pursed lip breathing - breathe in through your nose for 2 seconds, then purse your lips and exhale slowly for 4-6 seconds
• Try diaphragmatic (belly) breathing - place one hand on your chest and one below your ribs, focus on Show Full Answer