Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Kent, OH
September 12, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, if you mean vitamins (?), I take those most of the time. When I'm having lots of fruits and veggies, I don't feel like I need them. I've never thought of taking them just for my lungs though, except for extra calcium which is supposed to keep my teeth and bones healthier.

September 13, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I take vitamin C (1,000 mg), mullein 2x/day and vitamin B12 for energy and doing ok. Take care ALL! John😀

September 12, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi, @A MyCOPDTeam Member, and welcome to the site.

I have tried a number of things over the years (my version of COPD is caused by birth defects which were repaired but never cured / fixed, and they’re worsening as I age).

I rely heavily on staying hydrated to keep the congestion thinned out. At the suggestion of other members on here, I began to use supplements like marshmallow root and mullein (with a nod to @A MyCOPDTeam Member, who also finds that supplement helps him).

I also insisted on seasonal PFT’s (pulmonary function tests) through my pulmonologist so that I could see how my breathing functioned throughout the years’ variations in hot, cold, wet, dry, humid and allergy seasons.

At this point, I have figured out that I am best in the high heat (low humidity) of a dry, desert-ish microclimate. Allergies get worst for me in August, impacting my energy and breathing levels. The worst for me is the California Winters when they are cold and wet (raw), so I try and keep a dehumidifier going in the Winter to help me from getting chesty with a cold.

Please know that none of us are medical professionals or doctors, but we will all do our best to help you figure out your version of our shared disease label by offering things to try. From there, you keep a daily journal of what you’ve noticed working or not working for you and your geographical area, and you’ll figure out your triggers and what might help alleviate your symptoms.

I am a big fan of @A MyCOPDTeam Member, out of Australia, who has gone on to advocate for COPDers worldwide from his home base in Australia. Russell is not on here much any more, being busy with his own page and advocacy efforts as he runs marathons and triathlons worldwide, but his website references things that he does, like taking ketone esters, and outlines all the things which worked or didn’t for him. Russ gan be found via these links:

https://copdathlete.com

https://www.facebook.com/copdathlete

https://m.facebook.com/russell.winwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ALU8fxSG

Welcome and good luck.

Friday evening, 12-SEP-25

Log in or sign up to view
Log in or sign up to view
Copd Athlete | Brisbane QLD
Copd Athlete | Brisbane QLD
COPD ATHLETE | Never Let Disease Define You
COPD ATHLETE | Never Let Disease Define You
September 12, 2025 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Flem not form🤪

September 18, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I’ve recently have tried nac but it seemed to loosen my form in a negative way so I stopped using it until I start seeing a pulmonologist

September 18, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Citrus Heights, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Duluth, GA