Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Plymouth, UK

I have severe copd and emphysema. I’ve been given these tablets to try when I’m struggling to breathe but not sure how they work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

September 19, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Lorazepam is an anti anxiety medication. You need to discuss with your doctor when and how much you should be using it. It is not given to while you are having a flare up with SOB. It is to help calm you so you don't get SOB. I use another kind but take it before I get sob, and only take a half pill. But it is not necessary every or all the time. In fact 15 days worth last me 2 months. Don't panic, stay calm.
It is to help keep you from having anxiety. After your SOB you need to do PLB [pursed lipped breathing] to get your O2 numbers back up into the 90's.

When you get anxious you tighten up your chest. This makes it harder to breathe. You start to panic and start breathing shorter and quicker. It is the fright or flight response in our primal defenses. It is best to control it with breathing technics.

First off lower your shoulders! Your shoulders are not supposed to touch your ears. Next take a three point stance. Do 3 PLB; In through the 'nose' for 4, hold for 4, out forcefully through pursed lips for 8 seconds. On the 4 breath a deep breath in, and let out a relaxing breath. Repeat until you're breathing easier.

There is also, taking long slow deep breaths in through the nose, and slowly out.
You can then do a in for 5 [Through the nose] using your chest and out for 5 [though the nose]

*I am not a doctor this is what I do for my situation. You need to talk with your doctor and understand when to take and how much to be using. I don't like taking medications and avoid as much as possible. That is when my doctor taught me those breathing technics to help calm me.

September 20, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I use Lorazepam for anxiety that far to many flareups caused. Now I have sore chest and when something upsetting happens my breathing gets serious now. It relaxes you enough that it eases your lungs as well making it easer to breath. TC

September 21, 2025
MyCOPDTeam

When experiencing shortness of breath with COPD, it's important to first try proven breathing techniques like:

• Pursed lip breathing
• Diaphragmatic (belly) breathing
• Using your rescue inhaler as prescribed

These techniques can help release trapped air in your lungs and ease breathlessness naturally. If you're unsure Show Full Answer

When experiencing shortness of breath with COPD, it's important to first try proven breathing techniques like:

• Pursed lip breathing
• Diaphragmatic (belly) breathing
• Using your rescue inhaler as prescribed

These techniques can help release trapped air in your lungs and ease breathlessness naturally. If you're unsure about using a new medication like Lorazepam, it's essential to:

• Discuss with your doctor exactly when and how to use it
• Follow your prescribed medication schedule carefully
• Keep track of how often you need it
• Report any side effects to your healthcare provider
• Have a clear treatment plan for managing breathlessness episodes

Remember to use your pulse oximeter if you have one, and seek immediate medical attention if your oxygen levels drop below 90% or if you experience severe breathing difficulties.

September 19, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good advice MichaelZervac! I’ve used pursed lip breathing many times in the ER while waiting to get help thru a flareup

September 20, 2025 (edited)

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Subscriber asked a question 💭