See if you can sign up for a physical therapy class for COPD.
The class teaches what COPD is, how it effects your body and how to exercise properly for your condition.
You can even do it online.
Breathe easy my friend.
Hello Allenjackson, Welcome the group. I can tell you are new and newly diagnosed. Well the AI has answered this one perfectly. I am also going to recommend the same thing PLB. [Pursed Lipped Breathing] there is a video on how to do it in the 'Resource' section above. I like to do it leaning on a counter or the back of a chair.
What you are doing is having an anxiety or panic attack, then you start hyperventilating. Your doctor can't stop that and there is no medication to stop it. If you are having that much trouble catching your breath you need to go to the ER. I can't see how your wife is making you stop hyperventilating. Maybe she is wanting you to stop and is yelling at you making it worse.
You need to calm down, take a deep breath. Ya I know harder than saying it. Start with lowering your shoulders! They are not supposed to be touching your ears. Do the PLB concentrating on your breathing and counting seconds. In through the nose for 4 sec, hold for 4 sec, out through pursed lips with force for 8 seconds. I do that 3 times and then take a deep breath in and exhale. Repeat as necessary.
Ask your wife to help calm you when you're having a panic attack instead of yelling at you. To talk softly and rub her hand on your back calming you down. You will find within a few minuets you will be breathing fine.
There is a lot of information to learn about COPD start with the resource section.
Hopefully this will help you some. But you need to learn to stay calm because anxiety will make you have another heart attack. The heart and lung work together and that puts more pressure on your heart.
You are not alone.
I was pretty much home bound for approximately 4 years due to panic attacks. The amount of energy and focus required to regain control was astounding (lots of fun in public). My doctors would look at me with a blank face and offered no solutions. I told them I kept a change of clothes and shoes in my car for bladder control issues due to panic attacks. One doctor finally put me on a very small dose of lorazepam for "air hunger".
The lorazepam did not stop the attacks but gave me just enough "time" to take control before they consumed me. That was how i learned how to control my mind and body. I very rarely need take it anymore.
I feel truly blessed.
How can you manage frustration with doctors not returning calls and frequent hyperventilating episodes?
It sounds like you're dealing with a really tough situation, and the frustration is completely understandable. Let's address both issues.
For the hyperventilating:
When you feel like you can't breathe, it's important Show Full Answer