My nose and mouth don't do anything to assist my breathing and I've been curious for a while how that pursed lip breathing would work for me. I don't require that action yet, but I'd like to know what to do if/when I do need it. Thanks for any responses! Chris
September 23, 2025
Answer Summary
A member who breathes through a neck opening after a laryngectomy asked what alternatives exist to pursed lip breathing, sparking a... Read more
Sorry @A MyCOPDTeam Member when replies get confused and people are telling you how to do pursed lip breathing and how good it would be for you. I know they mean well but they should look at the question and not other people's replies, I would think you would breathe in and then exhale longer than you inhale, if you can.
I may be way off base, @A MyCOPDTeam Member, but it may work like the plug some folks use to talk, after they take their oxygen off from their neck entry. It may be that they will use that kind of method, and that you’ll have to be taught to use that technique for short bursts so that your oxygen saturation doesn’t crash why you’re applying the technique…
Here’s what I could find which might help you in your discussion with your respiratory therapist or specialist (see photo).
Do some research on Active Cycle of Breathing Technique (ACBT) to see if this concept is helpful in providing the vocabulary necessary to have this conversation with your doctor or therapist.
Good luck ! I hope you figure out something that can help. Hugs.
Tuesday night, 23-SEP-25
Thank you for your suggestion @A MyCOPDTeam Member, but I have given it a shot and it doesn't work.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member, 😳 Don't rush me any further a head of where I am. The doctor was just letting me know what stages were ahead for me. [I tend to ask, what if and what next to be aware of.] No I don't have or need a precision vest yet. I defiantly don't want to need the suction machine.
It is being active, exercising, and eating a healthy diet that is keeping me at a place I can still have somewhat of a normal life. Trying to keep a positive attitude and keep depression away are always on my mind.
I was just letting you know for some of us that day does come. Just sharing the knowledge I have. 💛 This question is about you and what you can do in place of PLB. If we can't do it we will need the suction machine like you.
Breathe Ez.........
Oh my goodness @A MyCOPDTeam Member, I didn't realize you were that far along in this insane disease! So do you have the percussion vest already? Oh man, this is kind of a shock to me as you don't ever indicate how you are feeling. I am so sorry for you but glad you seem to be keeping a positive attitude. I guess I will have to look up cupping because I'm not sure what that is. I was not aware that ANY COPD person could get a suction machine, but I think it should be given a little earlier than after all other options run out!! It is a little tricky to use though because at the same time it is sucking the phlegm/mucus out it is also sucking air out. 6 seconds is about the max they want it to run at a time. I think you are still going for walks and things too, so that is good sign. You take care and thanks for this information Michael. Hugs, Chris
September 27, 2025