I think the smell is pretty strong when I use the self-cleaning feature. It didn't bother me in the past, but now think I should turn it on, then stay outside the house for a couple of hours, or at least raise several windows.
Is it dangerous to use a self-cleaning oven with COPD?
The strong smell from a self-cleaning oven can definitely be problematic with COPD. The high heat burns off food residue, creating fumes and odors that can irritate your lungs and potentially trigger breathing difficulties.
Your instinct to leave the house or open Show Full Answer
I am the same as you Jael2. I can't take the smell anymore and leave the house. But then again I couldn't take the smell of the oven clean before the self cleaning oven.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I had to look up ark cleaning ovens; never heard of that before. it sounds like you're not using a foreign product to clean that way? It sounds safer. Have you tried it?
What does ark cleaning ovens put out that’s dangerous I have a kitchen aid and u pour water on bottom n it come out like new what’s the water? Mela
Guess this isn't a good place to mention that I just used the self cleaning feature on my oven the other day for the second time in 16 years! I survived, but you all make up your own minds. Be safe! Chris
November 11, 2025