Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Jacksonville, FL

Just recently, saw blood but just a little with my mucous and only sometimes. Is this serious? I don’t want to go to ER. I have contacted my lung doctor to push up the CT scan instead of waiting till February. There were spots on my right lung. And was waiting to see if any changes on next CT scan.

November 3, 2025
 · 
Reactions
MyCOPDTeam

Is seeing a little blood in your mucous serious?

Seeing blood in your mucous can have various causes, and reaching out to your lung doctor to move up your CT scan was the right call, especially given the spots previously found on your lung.

While small amounts of blood occasionally can sometimes result from minor Show Full Answer

Is seeing a little blood in your mucous serious?

Seeing blood in your mucous can have various causes, and reaching out to your lung doctor to move up your CT scan was the right call, especially given the spots previously found on your lung.

While small amounts of blood occasionally can sometimes result from minor irritation or frequent coughing, it's important to get this checked out promptly given your history. Your doctor needs to evaluate whether this is related to the lung spots they've been monitoring.

When would you need emergency care?

You should go to the ER or call 911 if you experience:
* Heavy or persistent bleeding when you cough
* Difficulty breathing or gasping for air
* Chest pain
* Blue lips
* Confusion
* Being unable to speak

If you're experiencing any of these symptoms, don't wait - seek emergency care immediately.

Since you've already contacted your doctor about moving up the CT scan, continue monitoring your symptoms. If the blood in your mucous increases or you develop any of the emergency symptoms listed above, head to the ER right away.

November 3, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I had streaks in my phlegm a couple times I called my pulmonologist. He said if it was just streaks it was probably a torn blood vessel from coughing too hard. If it was more than a teaspoon full in a whole day he wanted me to go to the ER.
Told me to take some cough medicine and hug a pillow if I had to cough so hard.
But you need to contact your doctor about it, don't wait for an appointment if it is a lot of blood.

November 4, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hello I was in hospital last year with flare ups and pneumonia it was a bad year. I can tell copd is getting worse. My pulmonologist says I am Moderate/ severe. Bode score of 5. I had to look that up as I didn't know what it meant. 5 is supposed to be Moderate and I was for 10 years then things changed. I hope you get your CTscan soon. Hugs and prayers to you also dear. I am 76 but feel 176 some days. ❤️

November 4, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, thanks for your input. I know you mentioned about coughing hard maybe cause the bleed.. but I don’t cough much. So just wait and see, I guess. Hopefully my doctor will do me a catscan soon instead of waiting till February. I at this stage, I don’t want to go to ER if she request I do so. Will see.
Hugs and prayers.

November 4, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have also had some streaks of blood a couple of times. Doctor thinks from coughing so hard but I also had pneumonia twice last year. So I don't really know i just get so stressed out about this. I need counseling I think. Prayers to all.

November 4, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Cote St. Luc

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Collingwood, ON