@A MyCOPDTeam Member good morning. I have just spent some time checking out palliative care and from what I've been reading it is concerned about your mental state, emotional state and how others in the family (AND friends) react to your diagnoses. As far as i can tell, it doesn't cover any physical help like cleaning or shopping or things of that sort, but there are home care places that do that kind of thing. Check with your Senior Services in your county to see what they provide or can offer at a reasonable price. I'm sorry but I was having a hard time getting a definite answer to your question. Good luck! Hugs, Chris
November 16, 2025
This is my experience with it. Not saying it is good or bad. But I am sure for the right situation would be better than hospice.
When I got out of the hospital last December. My insurance company kept wanting to set me up on it said I was referred to them. So was jumping through all the hoops and set up an appointment for the NP to come visit and get all my records, information and evaluate me. When they asked me to sign a permission slip to get my records and contract for them to take over my care. Take over my care???
That set off a red light for me! They called me! They made it sound so easy and simple that the NP [Nurse Practicer] would make house calls and I could call her 24/7 for any help or medication. So I read the forms they wanted me to sign. I looked into palliative care. It is a step below hospice. Where you still get medication and you are treated for your illness. But you only deal with the NP. You no longer go into the Dr office or get tests. The NP does all the communicating with the doctors for you. You must always go through them. Remember they are asking me to sign the permission slip.
So I went to visit each of my doctors. I asked each of them why they would suggest I go on palliative care. The first two said they didn't, my pulmonologist said he didn't and only would recommend it to me if I was unable to come in or not got to get a CT scan. Basically unable to do things or care for myself. Because he said he looses the opportunity to fully check what is going on, and rely on a nurse to inform him. He also said I should check with the hospital to see if they recommended me. So right out of the office I marched over to the hospital. I still had to pay my hospital stay bills, mostly for test. I found out from the billing department. when you have 2 debilitating issues [My COPD and heart issues then.] and have been in the hospital the insurance company wants you to go on palliative care and they recommend it. [Most decisions at the insurance company come from nurses and saving money.] I also found out the palliative care company I would be going through was owned by the insurance company. Not only that but you are limited to number of visits or calls before an extra fee kicks in at a higher rate and beyond you insurance coverage. So it will cost you more out of pocket. All about $$$
So since I am still of sound mind and I am ambulatory, able to speak up for myself and know what is best. I chose to NOT use palliative care. I canceled all communication with that department. It is not time yet for that.
*This is just what I experienced, others may have a better outlook. But for me it seems like insurance wanting to save money and take control of my care. Not on my watch.
Thanks for the good info, glad that you checked into it before you sign ed. Papers
What services are included in palliative care for COPD?
Unfortunately, the search results provided don't contain specific information about what palliative care includes for people with COPD.
However, based on general COPD management approaches, palliative care typically focuses on:
* Symptom relief, especially for Show Full Answer