Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
November 20, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The only thing stopping me from getting a dual transplant is not having 2 available caregivers to help me . I have reached out to churches, to local programs. Etc .. and I can't find any help no where

November 20, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

And I meet this criteria , I just don't have the caregivers that I need to proceed with process . This is horrible to know my country will let me die because I can't find someone to give me a few months of there time or possibly less . How can my my government just let me die because I don't have family or friends that have the time or ability to help me from 1 week up to 4 months post surgery. I don't see it taking this long for me to heal but I'm getting worse and worse by the month . I'm in the hospital every single month for the last 3 years literally . How does this not qualify me for some kind of assistance

November 20, 2025
MyCOPDTeam

Why is it difficult to get support for a lung transplant at Vanderbilt and arrange necessary caregivers?

Getting approved for a lung transplant can be challenging because there are very specific criteria that must be met. To be considered for a transplant, you need to:

- Be at high risk of dying from COPD within a few Show Full Answer

Why is it difficult to get support for a lung transplant at Vanderbilt and arrange necessary caregivers?

Getting approved for a lung transplant can be challenging because there are very specific criteria that must be met. To be considered for a transplant, you need to:

- Be at high risk of dying from COPD within a few years
- Have stopped smoking for a long time
- Have no other serious medical conditions
- Be physically and emotionally ready for significant rehabilitation

The process also requires demonstrating that you have adequate support systems in place, which is likely why caregivers are being requested.

If you're facing barriers getting the help you need, here are some steps that might help:

- Ask your current doctor's office or the hospital's billing department about options for financial assistance or care coordination services
- Request a case manager or social worker who can help navigate the transplant evaluation process and caregiver requirements
- Reach out directly to Vanderbilt's transplant team to understand exactly what documentation or support they need from you

It's important to know that there's a shortage of healthy lungs available for transplant, and many people with end-stage COPD don't receive one even if they qualify. This doesn't mean you should give up - keep advocating for yourself and asking for the specific help you need to meet their requirements.

November 20, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Gastonia, NC

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Gulfport, MS