Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
November 22, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Oh thank you so much for those encouraging words. I hope to find much needed support and advise from this group. And already today it has been a uplifting experience.

November 22, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you ...I did go for a walk and put up the Christmas tree. Only one cigarette so far. Gotta keep trying because I know this is the worse for faster progression. Hopefully very soon I can say I quit. When did you quit before diagnosis or after? And you also have a beautiful weekend!

November 22, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I believe you're going to do much better than you think, Terry. If we must have emphysema, Mild to Moderate is a good place to be, if that makes any sense to you. It took me a long time to settle down with my fears, but it does come. Cigarettes are the demon that just never gives up, but this is the best possible time to quit. I honestly think it could save you years, but I don't have anything to back that up. I sure don't want to nag you about it. I learned from experience that does no good! I smoked over 50 years.
I hope you have a beautiful weekend and do something really good for yourself.❤️

November 22, 2025
MyCOPDTeam

How can you manage anxiety and cope with a new diagnosis of mild to moderate emphysema?

Getting a COPD diagnosis can feel overwhelming, bringing up feelings of fear, uncertainty, or even relief at finally having answers. Whatever you're feeling is completely normal, and you're definitely not alone in this experience.

Show Full Answer

How can you manage anxiety and cope with a new diagnosis of mild to moderate emphysema?

Getting a COPD diagnosis can feel overwhelming, bringing up feelings of fear, uncertainty, or even relief at finally having answers. Whatever you're feeling is completely normal, and you're definitely not alone in this experience.

Creating a simple organizational system can help you feel more in control. Keep all your medical information, doctor's visit summaries, and COPD resources in one designated spot. This small step can help reduce the chaos and make important information easy to find when you need it.

Understanding Your Symptoms

With mild to moderate emphysema, you might experience:
- Shortness of breath that worsens with activity
- A persistent cough, sometimes with mucus
- Chest tightness
- Occasional wheezing
- Fatigue

Anxiety and depression are incredibly common with COPD - around 40 percent of people attending respiratory clinics experience depression. The symptoms can overlap, making it hard to tell what's causing exhaustion or worry.

Managing Anxiety

Everyone with lung disease should have an anxiety action plan. Consider what helps you most:
- Abdominal breathing exercises
- Relaxation techniques
- Deep shoulder and neck muscle massage
- Short-acting anti-anxiety medication if prescribed

The goal is to stop the dyspnea-anxiety cycle from spiraling. If you've tried everything and breathing becomes overwhelming, don't hesitate to contact your doctor or visit the ER.

Treating emphysema symptoms to improve quality of life can also help reduce depression symptoms. You're taking the right step by addressing both the physical and emotional aspects of this diagnosis.

November 22, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Terry, I noticed sometime in late 2011 that it was hurting to smoke, and my lungs were doing strange things when I was lying down. On top of that, I was getting quite scared. But I never said 'I quit'. I just didn't have the energy to smoke anymore.
Then in 2012, my emphysema was found quite by accident, and I was glad that I had already quit smoking. I had no more desire on this earth to even touch a cigarette. I was done. If you can believe this, my sense of shame and guilt were as strong as my fear.
You are going to start feeling so much better than you are right now, I know that. Just stick close and watch to see how well others in here are doing. You will see symptoms in yourself and others, but you will have a courage and peace that you were not aware of. 🎈

November 22, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Warrington, UK