@A MyCOPDTeam Member Yes, the humidity in the shower really effects my breathing as well. So I leave the door cracked and then I freeze from the cold air -- It's always something. I have to leave my O2 on in the shower as well, but I use the home concentrator, Some days it is easier than others, like hair washing days are really exhausting.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member I'm just wondering why you use your portable 02 in the shower?
You can just throw your cannula from your home concentrator over the shower door or curtain rod, and use a 7' cannula so the connector prevents the tubing from pulling. Hope this helps.
Humidity does not bother me much so no problem in the bathroom for me. You may need to run the vent fan, leave the door open, or turn the temperature down so there is no steam.
If you are using a portable oxygen concentrator it is taking in the air and humidity from the room and putting it in your lungs and will only make things worse. I use my home concentrator which is in the other room. Where it gets room temperature air to make my oxygen. Use a tank or put the concentrator out side the room.
Does steam from the shower make breathing more difficult when using portable oxygen?
Yes, steam can definitely be a problem when showering with COPD and using oxygen. The warm, humid air from steam can make breathing feel harder for some people.
Here are some tips that might help:
* Wear your cannula backward and drape Show Full Answer
I am on oxygen 24/7 and don't have any issues with the breathing tube while showering, my showers are hot and the steam can make breathing difficult. I've found that when combing my long hair after the shower it's best to just comb the hair back, like I'm slicking it back with gel.