@A MyCOPDTeam Member they usually also give you an albuterol inhaler that can provide a very quick reduction of shortness of breath, and be used several times a day.
Mentioned Users
A MyCOPDT...
January 14
Spiriva is a maintenance inhaler as opposed to rescue. But over the years, when I've had a sudden sore throat or cough I've reached for one of my old Spirivas and it eased the symptoms.
I'm not familiar with wixela, but I'm sure you have a good understanding of what you're taking. Are they both working for you?
January 14
What is a rescue inhaler and how does it work?
A rescue inhaler is a quick-relief medication used during sudden COPD flare-ups or when you're experiencing severe shortness of breath. It's called a "rescue" inhaler because it provides fast relief when you need it most.
The most common rescue inhaler is albuterol, which is Show Full Answer
What is a rescue inhaler and how does it work?
A rescue inhaler is a quick-relief medication used during sudden COPD flare-ups or when you're experiencing severe shortness of breath. It's called a "rescue" inhaler because it provides fast relief when you need it most.
The most common rescue inhaler is albuterol, which is typically prescribed to be taken every four hours as needed. It starts working within just a few minutes and its effects last between four and six hours.
How it works:
Rescue inhalers contain short-acting bronchodilators (specifically short-acting beta-agonists or SABAs) that help the muscles in your airways relax. When these muscles relax, your airways open up, making it easier to breathe.
Possible side effects may include:
- Jittery feelings
- Difficulty sleeping
- Upset stomach
- Rapid heart rate
- Hyperactivity
Some doctors also provide a "rescue pack" that may contain medications to take during bad COPD flare-ups, which can include both rescue inhalers and other medications like antibiotics or steroids.
It's important to have your rescue inhaler with you at all times so you can use it when breathing becomes difficult.
January 14
I don’t think my doctor gave me a rescue inhaler.
I’m taking wixela and spiriva.
January 14