I have emphysema and lung scarring. I am currently on l liter of oxygen. I seem to have allergies to so many inhalers. Anticholinergic ingredients seem to be the culprit. Seems as though I am so limited as far as what I can take to relieve symptoms. Currently using Symbicort and Dr suggested adding low dose Prendisone daily. Reading all side effects on long term use, I am having a hard time making a decision without some legitimate feedback from those who have actually added this to their… read more
Learn more about the drug treatment mentioned above.Answer Summary
Members shared mixed experiences with low-dose prednisone for lung conditions, with several describing significant side effects including... Read more
That is a good question Glenda. It is something worth discussing with your doctor on all options. [I am not a doctor and this is just how I handled it.]
It started in spring when the pollen was in the air. It was the dust particles that irritated my lungs. I wound up on a daily maintenance of 10 mg a day. Then the side effects started showing up. Mood, weight gain, pie face, high blood pressure, increased heart rate. [about 5 months] Wound up in the ER over it all and determined the prednisone was too high for my system. So weened down to 5 Mg a day, as I started felling better I started exercising and needing less of the steroids we went to every other day. For the last 2 months I have been on 2.5 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday's and that is working out good. Now if I have a flare up we raise it for a week and back down. But my BP feels it if have have too much in my system. Next month will make it a year. That has been my experience with it. I'm still on it but I am as low doses as I can be.
I believe we should avoid it as much as possible.
I just got off prednisone. I experienced many side effects. Bruising so badly I can't wear bracelets, thinning hair, and thinned skin. It also causes bone fractures. There are substitutes from what I've read, that aren't steroids.
Been on low dose tic taçs long time now 10 mg daily for past five years or more.l also have ra so my case may be different then yours.For what it's worth if l has it to do over l probably would not take prednisone at all,it is a miracle drug but the any side effects in my opinion are just not worth it.Every person is different in how they want to treat this disease but when a drug causes so many bad effects,and prednisone is by far not the only one,then you really have to decide if the benefits are worth it.I would try different options and take awhile to decide on This course of treatment.My reply is probably no help at all in making your decision but after all the damage is done it is to late to turn back time.Good luck.
I am on that for 12 days and it does help me a lot . I think I have about 3 days left . I also do breathing treatments 2 to 3 times a day and it makes me feel like a normal person.
There are replacements for prednisone. Ask your Dr. personally I've had a lot of side effects but I'm extremely sensitive to all medications.