Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I'm diagnosed with significant bulbous emphysema. I have been on oxygen 24/7 for 3 years

March 7
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@TriciaMabeeMason yes I understand what your talking about. My Dr told me i could turn my oxygen up while trying to do cleaning,laundry or whatever I'm doing. But turn it back down when you're finished. I'm on 3 liters on my concentrator. When away from home I use my mini oxygen tanks she said I could turn up to continuous flow while walking to dr or where ever you go. Then I turn it back to 3. God bless you 🙏❤️

March 7
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I never been on oxygen

March 7
MyCOPDTeam

Why do you need more oxygen when standing or moving?

When you're active—even just standing up or walking—your body needs more oxygen because your muscles are working harder. With emphysema, the damaged air sacs in your lungs can't absorb oxygen as efficiently, so your oxygen levels drop more during activity than they would Show Full Answer

Why do you need more oxygen when standing or moving?

When you're active—even just standing up or walking—your body needs more oxygen because your muscles are working harder. With emphysema, the damaged air sacs in your lungs can't absorb oxygen as efficiently, so your oxygen levels drop more during activity than they would when you're sitting still.

This is completely normal for people with COPD. Your body is demanding more oxygen during movement, but your lungs can't keep up with that demand as easily, which is why you need to increase your flow rate from 4 to 6 or 8 liters.

Many people with COPD need different oxygen levels for different activities:
- Lower flow rates when resting or sitting
- Higher flow rates during physical activity
- Sometimes adjusted rates during sleep

Your doctor can measure your oxygen levels at rest, during activity, and while sleeping to determine the right flow rates for each situation. This helps ensure you're getting enough oxygen without getting too much, which can also cause problems. What should you do?

Since you've been adjusting your oxygen on your own, it's important to talk with your doctor about your current needs. COPD is progressive, and after 3 years on oxygen, your requirements may have changed.

Your doctor can:
- Test your oxygen levels during different activities
- Prescribe the appropriate flow rates for rest and activity
- Make sure you're staying within a safe oxygen range
- Adjust your equipment if needed

Keep monitoring how you feel. Signs that your oxygen might be too low include shortness of breath, blue or gray-tinted lips or nails, fast heart rate, tiredness, or confusion.

A MyCOPDTeam member shared similar experiences: "Some good news the pulmonary rehab I'm going to seems to be working, Thursday they put my oxygen down to 2 liters from 3, and I was able to walk from the parking lot to rehab without getting out of breath."

Regular check-ins with your healthcare team will help you stay safe and comfortable as your needs change.

March 7
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes,I always turn oxygen down to one while sleeping as you don't use as much oxygen when sleeping and being as CO2 retainer it's dangerous to let it get too high although when I lay down or just sit I lower it as my body doesn't use much oxygen at rest

April 12
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Ask your doctor.
I am a carbon dioxide retainer, so it takes a longer period of time to replace it with oxygen.
When I stand up and start moving, I get very breathless. I stop moving and catch my breath then keep moving, I do not increase my oxygen flow rate. I work and move at the rate I am able to with O2 setting the doctor prescribed. She did tell me to lower the setting for sleeping. If I am working will sometimes increase the flow rate but that is very rare.
Ask your doctor.

March 9

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question đź’­
Detroit, MI

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question đź’­
Ludington, MI