Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ormond Beach, FL

I’m on 3 liters of oxygen 24/7 no matter if I’m resting , sleeping or active even doing home rehabilitation and I seem to get out of breath when active but recover within 3 mins. My O2 saturation doesn’t go below 94 and at rest it’s 97. It’s been working for me. I was told I can’t overdose on oxygen

March 7
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You can't overdose on it. But you can cause more damage with it!
The AI pretty well covered it accurately !!!
I was also told by my doctor, If I turn it up on my own and I am getting too much "pure oxygen" and it damages your air sacks as bad as smoking does. So self adjusting your oxygen will cause more damage and advance your condition.

****Alway important to follow doctors orders and prescription. Oxygen is prescribed and like all medication, it can help or hurt, it is all in the dosage.

March 8
MyCOPDTeam

Can you have too much oxygen with COPD?

Yes, it is possible to have too much oxygen when you have COPD. While you were told you can't overdose, too much oxygen can actually cause problems for some people with COPD.

Too much oxygen can lead to a buildup of carbon dioxide in your body, called oxygen-induced hypercapnia Show Full Answer

Can you have too much oxygen with COPD?

Yes, it is possible to have too much oxygen when you have COPD. While you were told you can't overdose, too much oxygen can actually cause problems for some people with COPD.

Too much oxygen can lead to a buildup of carbon dioxide in your body, called oxygen-induced hypercapnia, which can make you feel worse. It can also cause oxygen poisoning, with symptoms like chest pain, breathing difficulties, dizziness, and nausea.

That's why it's important to only use oxygen exactly as your doctor prescribes. Your oxygen saturation levels sound good (94-97%), which suggests your current prescription is working well for you. Getting out of breath during activity and recovering within 3 minutes is actually pretty normal, even when using oxygen. Many people with COPD experience this, and it's one reason pulmonary rehabilitation can be helpful - it teaches you breathing techniques and exercises to manage these moments better.

Since COPD can progress over time, it's important to check in regularly with your doctor to make sure your oxygen levels and flow rates are still right for you. If you notice any changes in how you're feeling or your breathing patterns, let your doctor know so they can adjust your prescription if needed.

March 7

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Calgary AB Canada