Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
March 13
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member let your doctor know what you are experiencing.

March 14
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I went through this for a couple of months and found that eating big meals are no longer part of my eating habits, its small meals and lots of small snacks, I eat lots of fruits and small bowls of soups and I snack on things like sliced Oranges, Apples, mixed Nuts, hard boiled eggs, Egg Salad sandwiches, Potato salad, grilled cheese, Tuna, Pasta salad with Tuna.
Things like Strawberries, Bananas, Kiwifruit, Yogurt are excellent items. The object is to eat something and not to force your self to eat a big meal, those Protein drinks are good but they are very expensive and with a blender and a health food cook book (library) you can make up some very healthy smoothies that taste a whole lot better than those drinks. Things like Peanut butter is high in protein so is that can of mixed nuts, their are lots of food items that are high in protein. Look up on the internet for information. Thats what I did

March 13
MyCOPDTeam

Has anyone else experienced loss of appetite and unintentional weight loss with COPD?

Yes, you're definitely not alone. Many MyCOPDTeam members share this struggle. Loss of appetite and unintentional weight loss are common with COPD, affecting an estimated 40 to 70 percent of people with the condition.

Why this happens:

Show Full Answer

Has anyone else experienced loss of appetite and unintentional weight loss with COPD?

Yes, you're definitely not alone. Many MyCOPDTeam members share this struggle. Loss of appetite and unintentional weight loss are common with COPD, affecting an estimated 40 to 70 percent of people with the condition.

Why this happens:

- People with COPD use more energy when breathing and burn 10 times more calories than those without lung disease
- Shortness of breath can make eating physically difficult
- Reduced energy levels and the increased effort to breathe may decrease appetite
- Chronic coughing can make chewing or swallowing challenging
- Some people experience loss of taste, which makes food less appealing

One member shared: "I've been on a 'get-fat diet' for seven months, struggling hard to gain weight and keep it on." Another mentioned: "When I came home from the hospital, the only thing that had any taste was peanut butter, Ritz crackers and some ginger ale." What can help:

It's important to talk with your doctor about this weight loss, as it may indicate your COPD is progressing. They can connect you with a dietitian who specializes in helping people maintain healthy weight with COPD.

Members have found success with:

- Eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day instead of 3 large ones
- Choosing easy-to-digest foods like oatmeal, fruit smoothies, sweet potatoes, and yogurt
- Meal prepping on good days and freezing portions for bad days
- Adding high-calorie snacks between meals
- Using smaller plates to make portions feel more manageable

One member explained: "I cook five days of meals and put them in the freezer. If I have a bad day, I don't have to stand there cooking, I just put them in the microwave."

You're taking an important step by reaching out about this.

March 13
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have and im still n process of having more test done for my heart.

March 14
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Carol. Yes I'm drinking ensure. I'll try to find food I like. Had some ice cream today. Thanks for the reply and have a peaceful night.

March 13

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Queens, NY

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
East Saint Louis, IL