Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

And how would I know if I have end stage emphysema..I also quite smoke ing a month ago and feel worse in every way my breathing feels weak my throat

April 12
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I felt worse after quitting smoking but hang in there it will get better. I wish I had quit so much sooner

April 12
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My respiratory therapist had me walk for 6 minutes and monitored my oxygen levels. You should let someone do this for you and you will know if you need oxygen

April 12
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I wish I had never started in the first place. But at one point we all thought we were immortal

April 14
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member we all wish we had quit sooner!

April 14
MyCOPDTeam

When is oxygen therapy needed for emphysema?

Oxygen therapy may be needed at different points depending on how severe your emphysema has become. The need for supplemental oxygen depends on your oxygen levels and symptoms.

You might need oxygen
- During airline flights
- While doing certain physical activities
- While Show Full Answer

When is oxygen therapy needed for emphysema?

Oxygen therapy may be needed at different points depending on how severe your emphysema has become. The need for supplemental oxygen depends on your oxygen levels and symptoms.

You might need oxygen:
- During airline flights
- While doing certain physical activities
- While sleeping
- 24 hours a day in more severe cases

The goal is to increase the amount of oxygen available for your blood when your lungs can't do this efficiently on their own.

Signs of end-stage emphysema

End-stage emphysema (stage 4) is identified when lung capacity drops below 30 percent of normal or when stage 3 emphysema occurs with low blood oxygen levels.

Common signs include:
- Severe shortness of breath that impacts daily life
- Difficulty walking or eating
- Confusion or memory loss due to oxygen deprivation
- Frequent lung infections
- Chronic respiratory failure (when your respiratory system can't take in enough oxygen or release enough carbon dioxide)

You should seek immediate medical attention if:
- You have such severe shortness of breath that you can't climb stairs
- Your lips or fingernails turn blue or gray with physical exertion
- You aren't as mentally alert as usual

Regular checkups help track disease progression and maintain quality of life.

April 12

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Oaklyn, NJ

MyCOPDTeam asked a question 💭
San Francisco, CA