Hello JoeIppo, Welcome to the site. It would be nice to know more about you and your condition. But I will answer this with what my doctor told me. I have both emphysema and bronchitis, stage 4.
Seeing a streak or two in your sputum occasionally is ok. If it turns out to be more than a teaspoon full within a day you need to get to ER asap! It usually happens after a bad coughing fit, and I will see a streak in phlegm. It is caused by coughing too hard and tearing a capillary in your lung.
If you're seeing a lot, see doctor because it can be a serious issue.
Is spotting blood occasionally common with mild emphysema?
Spotting blood is not listed as a typical symptom of mild emphysema. The common early symptoms of emphysema include:
* Shortness of breath, especially during physical activity
* Occasional coughing (which may produce mucus)
* Chest tightness
* Wheezing
* Fatigue