Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Boston, MA
April 16
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have had occasional insomnia over the years and have found since emphysema it happens more frequently. I have found that I do need to relax in bed for about 2 hrs before I can fall asleep. Try to do boring things to help with that like word search or a nature show. David Attenborough documentaries are relaxing to listen to in my opinion. lol And to help with the coughing I have raised the head of my bed about 5-6 inches I believe. That has helped me a lot actually! Make sure to drink plenty of water through out the day as well. Hope this helps :)

April 26
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have COPD and insomnia average sleep is about two hours but to be honest I have had insomnia for many years even before COPD I have found that sleeping with a open window and a fan has helped a lot I am noe getting at least four hours of sleep I also sleep with my head elevated so I don't wake up coughing or spitting up phlegm this may not work for everyone but it has done wonders for me. I also do a lot of physical work so by the end of the day I am so tired that I sleep better
I hope you find relief because going on little sleep really wears you out
It took me years to be able to get some decent sleep I still do not sleep through the nite but I will take the four hours sleepless in Idaho

April 25
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I would not call it insomnia. That is actually a condition that has no apparent reason. I have 2 friends that have that. I will say I have had a lot of difficult and sleepless nights because of my COPD. Just difficulty breathing, constant coughing, or not being able to get comfortable position because of phlegm in the lungs. Especially when having an exacerbation.

But getting sleep is very important for us and our lungs. So try to get some naps in. I am on notional oxygen, so need to make sure I wear it when napping too.

April 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks for your reply. It's still taking me hours to fall asleep but once I'm there I get some solid hours in. I'm getting used to playing with my phone until 2 in the morning. I just wanted to say good night 😴.

April 25
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes I think copd can cause sleep issues. I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. Coughing wakes me then I cant get back to sleep. I do properly myself up on pillows but as a side sleeper find it uncomfortable on the neck. Vicious circle!

April 17

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Louisville, KY

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Viwnna,Missouri

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Salt Lake City, UT