Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Louisville, KY
August 30
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have worsening asthma since I got bronchiectasis ,a different lung disease. I have several inhalers and Singular tablet that really help control the asthma. But aside from that, I do hear noise in my chest related to Bronchiectasis, due to scaring in my lungs from past viruses, pneumonia ,etc. Allergies can cause noise in lungs too. There’s good tips from the above post.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member

August 31 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

MsGinaPlus6, I take Roflumilast. It does have side effects. I get headaches and insomnia however I just take my Tylenol arthritis for headache. Yesterday I went to my pulmonologist and I asked about the Roflumilast and my insomnia. He told me I could quit it for a week and see if I could sleep or i could try to cut it in half and see if that helped. I chose to cut it In half. The med is really good with helping to not have flare ups, there are a lot of side effects but those are the two that I have problems with. I think it’s a good med (just my opinion) I hope you have good luck with it but remember we all have different reactions. Good luck Cindy

September 10
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You’re very welcome. Hope the pulmonologist can help you soon. Unfortunate about your mom’s kitty. My allergist was so happy that I didn’t have any animals. Yah, isnt this forum great! We can share information to help out. Take care.

September 1
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you both for replying to my wheezing concerns. Its definately allergy related somehow snd i do have scaring on my lung from something. I can really hear it bad when i put ear plugs in. I wheeze from my lungs and nostrils, always worse at night or after sitting awhile. This usually keads to a flare up. Ive had severe asthma all my life but its worse around my moms cat. Highly allergic to cat dander. Its nice to have others to chat with who have similiar problems. My fully auto mist albuterol has helped some & im waiting to go to the pulmonary dr foor the miracle answer i hope. Thanks

September 1
MyCOPDTeam

Wheezing is very common with COPD, so you're definitely not alone! Many MyCOPDTeam members share similar experiences — one member mentioned that chest wheezing wakes them up occasionally, while another shared they were "up all night coughing and wheezing."

Wheezing happens when airways become narrowed or partly blocked Show Full Answer

Wheezing is very common with COPD, so you're definitely not alone! Many MyCOPDTeam members share similar experiences — one member mentioned that chest wheezing wakes them up occasionally, while another shared they were "up all night coughing and wheezing."

Wheezing happens when airways become narrowed or partly blocked, forcing air through tight passages and creating that familiar whistling sound. It tends to get worse during flare-ups. The good news is there are several ways to help manage wheezing:

- Bronchodilator inhalers or nebulizers can relax the bronchial tubes and ease wheezing
- Stay indoors when air quality is poor
- Avoid triggers like secondhand smoke or strong perfumes
- Stay hydrated — drink plenty of water and consider using a humidifier
- Hot beverages like tea can help relax airways
- Breathing exercises can also make a difference

It's worth mentioning any changes in your wheezing to your doctor, especially if it's getting worse — it can sometimes signal that COPD is progressing or that a flare-up is coming on.

August 30

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Glace Bay, NS