Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
June 4
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Well I know it is crucial to get a minimum of 6 hours sleep a night. I also know with COPD you sometimes have breathing problems and it make it hard to sleep.

Not sure what you are really looking for with that question. But I will let you know what I do to help get my sleep. I limit my nap to 20-30 minuets during the day. I make sure I exercise daily, I also walk daily. I do not use computer or cell phone for 2 hours before bed, I do my breathing exercises then. I go to bed every night at the same time and usually fall asleep during the news. I have nocturnal oxygen so I get a lot of comfort with that. I sleep with my head inclined to 30 degrees, to make it easier to breath and less phlegm drainage. I maintain a humidity level of 55% in my bedroom for me that is optimal. Either with a cool air humidifier, [winter] or a dehumidifier for summer time. Most nights I sleep 8 hours, some only 6, and only when I am going through an exacerbation do I get down to 4 or less.
Hope this information helps someone. Breathe Ez.......

June 7
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I find when I’m restless I turn on the television and watch old sitcoms like my three sons unsmoked they tend to turn off my mind and I fall asleep. I time my television to go off in 60 minutes

June 5
MyCOPDTeam

Great question! Getting quality sleep with COPD can be a real challenge, but there are some tried-and-true strategies that many people find helpful.

Here are some tips to help prepare for a better night's sleep:

- Stick to a consistent bedtime — going to bed at the same time each night helps regulate your body's internal Show Full Answer

Great question! Getting quality sleep with COPD can be a real challenge, but there are some tried-and-true strategies that many people find helpful.

Here are some tips to help prepare for a better night's sleep:

- Stick to a consistent bedtime — going to bed at the same time each night helps regulate your body's internal clock
- Rest when your body needs it — if you're having a tough day, don't fight it; a good rest day can help you bounce back
- Use relaxing music or sounds — some people find that calming music from their favorite era helps them wind down
- Limit naps during the day — napping can work well for some, but others find it disrupts nighttime sleep, so pay attention to what works for you
- Keep a wellness journal — jotting down your symptoms, mood, and daily activity before bed can help clear your mind
- Plan something to look forward to — having upcoming events on the calendar can ease anxiety and promote a more positive mindset at bedtime One MyCOPDTeam member shared that instead of pushing through exhaustion, they've learned to embrace rest: sleeping through most of a tough day often means bouncing back the next day feeling much better.

As always, if sleep issues are persistent, it's worth mentioning to your pulmonologist — they may have additional recommendations tailored to your specific situation.

June 4
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Be in a cool, quiet place

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

June 8

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Clyde, KS