Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Clyde, KS
July 4
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have an adjustable bed and keep my head elevated at a 30 degree angle. Mostly sleep on my back, I wear oxygen at night. Sometimes I can lower it a bit but works best at that angle to keep me from having phlegm issues at night. It is what works for me.

July 5
A MyCOPDTeam Member

LOL @A MyCOPDTeam Member, You get out of bed and go to the bathroom! Do you lower your pillows when you get up to go pee? It is just an adjustable bed raises the head or feet. Not like you're up in the air and can't put your feet on the floor when you sit up on the edge of the bed. Maybe you should go shopping and tray one out at a store. They are all selling adjustable bed frames now. You might even find it helpful.

July 11
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Frankly, I found a bed bending in the middle or raising my legs and back caused more back and rump pain than ease for breathing.

My best option was to raise my headboard about 4” so that I slept on a slant, not curving my back and not putting pressure on my rump worked much better for my breathing, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.

Happy 4th !

July 4
MyCOPDTeam

An adjustable bed can be really helpful for people with COPD! Lying flat can restrict the airways and make breathing more difficult, especially at night. Being able to elevate the head and upper body helps keep airways more open, which can lead to better sleep quality.

Some people manage without an adjustable bed by Show Full Answer

An adjustable bed can be really helpful for people with COPD! Lying flat can restrict the airways and make breathing more difficult, especially at night. Being able to elevate the head and upper body helps keep airways more open, which can lead to better sleep quality.

Some people manage without an adjustable bed by stacking pillows to prop themselves up into a more upright position. However, pillows can shift during the night, making an adjustable bed a more reliable and comfortable solution. Here are a few additional tips that may help with nighttime breathing comfort:

- Elevate your upper body to reduce airway restriction while sleeping
- Talk to your doctor about whether a CPAP or BiPAP machine might also help alongside an adjustable bed
- Avoid alcohol before bed, as it can worsen breathing difficulties at night
- Try to maintain a consistent sleep schedule to improve overall sleep quality

As always, it's worth discussing any sleep-related concerns with your healthcare provider, as they can recommend the best combination of solutions for your specific situation.

July 4
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have an adjustable bed. I like to put it up because I watch TV until I get sleepy and my mind quick racing then I lay it flat to sleep.

July 4

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Indpls, Indiana