Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I have Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Diverticulosis and a brain aneurysm, however, last week I received a further 5 diagnoses of Asthma, COPD, a shadow and nodule on my lung, moderate sleep apnea and bile acid malabsorption so am feeling totally overwhelmed and don’t know what to prioritise and where to turn first. So, can anyone advise me on how to manage all these conditions and most importantly my newly diagnosed COPD?

June 5
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member welcome to the group! Almost everyone on this site is dealing with more than one illness, so dealing with more than one is not impossible. I would guess that you are in the beginning stages of COPD, so that is important to do what you have to do according to your pulmonologist. You probably have a very long life ahead of you and it's important to make a decision now whether you are going to look on the positive side and live a fairly normal life, or look on the "things I can not longer do" side and be unhappy the rest of your life. Take the bull by the horns and tell yourself you ARE going to get through this, and then do what you have to do to make it happen. i have had 4 nodules in my lungs for probably 7 or 8 years and they never change, so doc isn't concerned about them; I hope yours turn out the same. I believe there is another group that covers fibromyalgia so you might want to check into that group too. As the AI answer said, it IS scary to get all these different things thrown at you at once, but it also said to sit down and take a deep breath. It will take some time and effort on your part to get comfortable, but we are always here to help if you need it. If you have questions, it's best if you go to the top of the page and click on Q&A--more people will see your question. I hope you have a good night. Hugs, Chris 6/5/26

June 5
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I just did some checking on your bile acid malabsorption and that may be one of the first things you could work on as i'm sure that is probably the one that is the most bothersome right now. Did your doctor give you any medication for that or any of your other diagnoses? WebMD did list a couple of medications but the side effects sound even worse. It did mention one other medication but it said that it is only used if everything else fails. Sorry to give you the bad news on top of what you have had already, but you wanted to know where to start and that would be my #1 suggestion. Hugs, Chris 6/6/26

June 6
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have fibromyalgia also ,Kimberly. Plus lots of other conditions. Finding out that you have all at once sounds so overwhelming. Hugs to you . What helps me ,is to just find a good doctor for each condition and go to my appointments. And do what the doctor tells me. It’s annoying and time consuming to have so many appointments ,with so many specialists. But I try to stay grateful that I have found good doctors to treat my conditions. If possible, I try not to do my appointments during the winter…I try to space out all my appointments throughout the rest of the year. Give MyFibroTeam a try. If I see you there, I will say hello. There may be a few other online groups for you ,with your other conditions. Believe it or not, after you’ve had these conditions for a while you kind of get used to it. It becomes your new normal. Take good care.

June 5 (edited)
MyCOPDTeam

First of all, take a breath (as best you can! 💙). Receiving multiple diagnoses at once is genuinely overwhelming, and what you're feeling right now is completely valid. You don't have to figure everything out at once.

When it comes to managing your COPD alongside everything else, here are some practical steps to help you Show Full Answer

First of all, take a breath (as best you can! 💙). Receiving multiple diagnoses at once is genuinely overwhelming, and what you're feeling right now is completely valid. You don't have to figure everything out at once.

When it comes to managing your COPD alongside everything else, here are some practical steps to help you feel more in control:

- Build your care team — Make sure you have a pulmonologist (lung specialist) leading your COPD care, and that all your specialists are communicating with each other about your medications and treatment plans
- Keep everything in one place — Store all your diagnosis summaries, test results, and doctor notes in one folder or binder so nothing gets lost in the chaos
- Prioritize your COPD treatment plan — Follow your prescribed medications and attend all appointments; consistent treatment adherence is one of the most important things you can do
- Ask about pulmonary rehabilitation — This is a structured program that can really help with breathing, fitness, and confidence in managing COPD
- Don't smoke — If you currently smoke, quitting is the single most impactful step you can take for your lungs It's also really important to look after your mental health right now. Feeling overwhelmed, anxious, or low after multiple diagnoses is extremely common, and those feelings deserve attention too.

Consider these steps for your emotional wellbeing:

- Talk to a mental health professional — A counselor or psychologist can give you concrete tools to cope with the stress of managing multiple conditions
- Practice mindfulness — Even small moments of being present and aware can help reduce anxiety over time; it takes practice but it's worth it
- Lean on your support network — Family and close friends can be a vital resource, so let people in where you can
- Connect with others who understand — MyCOPDTeam has over 119,000 members who truly get what it's like to live with COPD and can offer real-world support and advice

You are not alone in this, and many people are managing COPD alongside other conditions and still living well. One step at a time. 💙

June 5
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I meant to say Neuropathy. I also go to several different doctors. I am used to my health. I had to accept it along time ago. I decided I’m going to do what my body will allow (sometimes more and then it takes me a week to recover but sometimes it’s just worth it). You take care and have a good day.

June 6

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Plymouth, UK